AUTO INDUSTRY NEWS

Toyota reportedly 'cancels' plans for 86 convertible

Toyota reportedly 'cancels' plans for 86 convertible image

Text: / Photos: Toyota Press | posted October 07, 2013 12:06

Project might not materialize soon but reboot is possible

It is speculated that Toyota will not push through with the FT-86 Open concept (86 convertible version) any time soon. This is the concept that made a debut previously at the Geneva Motor Show.

Despite the halt in the development of the said model, Toyota might ‘fast-track’ the project if ever they decide to restart it at a later date. The company might be able to do so quickly due to the completed engineering work.

One possible reason of the speculated halt is a weight issue. Toyota previously said that developments were still needed to address the model’s rigidity. Moreover, the capabilities of the concept might conflict with the light weight and handling of the regular 86.

The Toyota 86 reached the Philippine shores in May 2012, and has become one of the top considerations of Filipinos who want a sports car.

One thing is leaning on possibility for now: the public might not see the FT-86 Open on the roads until after 2015.

 

SOURCE: WhatCar?