Vince Pornelos / Press | May 18, 2011 14:19
The United Nations Decade of Action for Road Safety
A commitment to promote and support the Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020
Everyone in the industry seems to have an advocacy program for road safety. However, many advocacies tend to remain in armchairs, often missing a real, concrete plan for action.
Recently, the United Nations launched the Decade of Action for Road Safety, seeking to address the tragedy of having 3,500 people around the world being violently killed each day on the road. The new program, which will take place from 2011 to 2020, seeks to improve road safety and reduce the tragedies that follow from road accidents and crashes.
Developed with the support of the World Health Organization (WHO), a seminar was held, bringing 150 leading road safety experts last November, 2010, to come up with a program to promote, pledge, and ultimately act on road safety issues.
The local component of the program, launched at the Asian Development Bank in Ortigas, enjoins all motorists and road users to take a pledge for action to eliminate the bad habits that affect and hamper the country from having safer roads.
As a safety-conscious and responsible road user and citizen of the Philippines, I volunteer to promote and support the United Nations Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020 which is being launched simultaneously worldwide on May 11, 2011.
Kindly take a few minutes with the pledge to do your part for a better motoring environment in the future.
THE ROAD SAFETY PLEDGE
To pro-actively participate in the Decade of Action's campaign to save five million lives by 2020, I pledge to:
* WEAR and display the "Decade of Action for Road Safety Tag" as a sign of my commitment to fight against the suffering, grief and injustice caused by road deaths and injuries, as a unifying, motivating and instantly recognizable symbol for this global effort during the UN Decade of Action for Road Safety;
* BELIEVE that together with the people of other countries participating in the UN Decade of Action for Road Safety I can help save millions of lives over the next 10 years, 2011-2020;
* ACT beginning right now to promote safer roads, safer vehicles and safer road users by doing the following:
- I will always observe and follow road laws, rules and regulations;
- I will buckle my seatbelt every time I drive and make sure all my passengers are properly buckled up as well;
- I will wear and fasten my motorcycle helmet and keep my headlight on when I ride;
- I will follow the posted speed limit;
- I will not drive or ride impaired by alcohol of drugs;
- I will focus and just drive. I will avoid distractions, such as texting and talking on the cell phone while driving;
- I will share the road with cars, pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists, bus, tricycles and truck drivers;
- I will maintain my vehicle in good roadworthy condition;
- As a pedestrian, I will cross the road safely at designated crossings;
- As a bicyclist, I will follow the rules of the road and wear a helmet;
- I will not throw garbage out of my vehicle.
* By consistently taking the above actions as a road user, I hope to contribute to the effective and successful implementation of the Decade of Action for Road Safety.