Text: Martin Aguilar / Photos: Manor Marussia F1 Facebook page | posted July 21, 2015 11:43
The 25-year-old passed away last Friday
The Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) has confirmed that number 17 will be retired from the Formula One World Championship in honor of Jules Bianchi.
FIA President Jean Todt said in a statement that the motorsport governing body decided to retire number 17 as a mark of respect for Bianchi.
“The FIA believes it to be an appropriate gesture to retire Jules Bianchi’s number 17. This number can no longer be used for a car competing in the FIA Formula One World Championship,” said Todt.
The 25-year-old Bianchi died last Friday following serious head injuries he sustained in a crash at the Japanese Grand Prix on October 5 last year.
As a review, Bianchi never regained consciousness after he hit a recovery vehicle head-on.