RACING NEWS

Manor Marussia confirms Roberto Merhi as second driver

Manor Marussia confirms Roberto Merhi as second driver  image

Text: Martin Aguilar / Photos: Manor Marussia | posted March 10, 2015 11:44

Manor Marussia F1 team all set for 2015 season

Roberto Merhi is set to make his Formula One debut this weekend as Manor Marussia announced that he will be the team's second driver for the 'opening rounds' of the 2015 season.

Merhi will join British driver Will Stevens for this weekend's Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

Before becoming Manor Marussia's driver, the 23-year-old Merhi has driven for Caterham in three FP1 sessions last season. He also won the 2011 European Formula 3 and finished third in last year's Formula Renault 3.5 championship.

Roberto Merhi (right) is set to make his Formula One race debut in the Australian Grand Prix

With this, Merhi said that he is ready to step up and to show that he can make an important contribution to the team.

"I am incredibly excited to be making my Formula 1 debut in Melbourne. I feel ready to make this step in my career and to show that I can make an important contribution to developing a team," Merhi said.

In review, the Manor Marussia F1 team was only cleared to race last week with a modified car based on their 2014 machine.

Last season Marussia driver Jules Bianchi was severely injured in a heavy crash at the Japanese Grand Prix in Suzuka.