Martin Aguilar / McLaren-Honda F1 | December 12, 2014 12:37
Kevin Magnussen will be the team's test and reserve driver
After weeks of uncertainty, the McLaren-Honda Formula One (F1) team has finally announced their driver line-up for 2015.
As previously reported, the official drivers for the McLaren-Honda F1 team would be former world champions Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button. McLaren-Honda also announced that Kevin Magnussen will be the team's test and reserve driver.
McLaren Chairman Ron Dennis said that they have assembled the strongest line-up possible. He also said that the team is confident with Button's driving performance despite having a difficult time deciding whether to retain him or the rookie Magnussen.
“McLaren’s policy has always been to assemble the strongest line-up possible, and in Fernando and Jenson I firmly believe that is exactly what we have. For many reasons our negotiations with Jenson took quite a long time, but, now that they have been concluded, we are confident that our collaboration with him will continue to thrive in the future. Jenson is 100-percent comitted to McLaren-Honda,” Dennis said.
With this, the McLaren-Honda F1 team has the oldest and most experienced drivers. Alonso (33) and Button (34) have started a combined total of 500 F1 races and won 47 of them.