Text: Martin Aguilar / Photos: McLaren-Honda | posted February 22, 2016 11:17
McLaren-Honda's MP4-31 will be driven by Alonso and Button
After a disappointing 2015 season, McLaren-Honda plans to start anew through its brand-new Formula One (F1) car – the MP4-31.
According to the team, the MP4-31 integrates Honda's new RA616H power unit. Compared to last year's MP4-30, McLaren-Honda says their new challenger features a significant number of all-new innovations which results into a balance of aerodynamic solutions.
“As we embark on the second year of our renewed McLaren-Honda partnership, all of us remain united in our purpose. That purpose is to develop our team towards our shared ambition: to win,” said Ron Dennis, McLaren Technology Group CEO.
Dennis added that the team worked hard to improve its challenger for the 2016 F1 season which will kick off in Australia in March 20.
“We’ll make no predictions as to when those wins will come, but I can say without fear of contradiction that every member of our team has worked with truly relentless dedication over the past few months. The result is that MP4-31’s developmental trajectory has been usefully steepened over the winter,” said Dennis.
Last year, McLaren-Honda had a tough 2015 F1 season as the team struggled to score points. The team finished ninth in the constructors' championship despite having Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button on board.
For this season, McLaren-Honda will once again pit Alonso and Button as the team's driver for the 2016 F1 championship. The whole team hopes that this upcoming season will be better compared to its lackluster 2015 campaign.