Better avoid the Quiapo area this weekend
Despite the on-going pandemic, it seems the Feast of the Black Nazarene, also known as Traslacion, will push through this year. Even though the grand procession is canceled, expect devotees to gather en masse at Quiapo Church. With that, heavy traffic should still be expected around the Quiapo district, along with nearby areas this January 8 and 9.
The Manila City government announced the closed roads, alternate routes, and parking areas for Traslacion 2021. It is to ensure the smooth flow of traffic as devotees flock into the city. They have also provided maps of the affected streets for better understanding.
Starting January 8, 2021, at 10:00 PM onwards, the following roads will already be closed to vehicular traffic:
- Southbound lane of Quezon Blvd. (Quiapo), from A. Mendoza/Fugoso to Carlos Palanca St.
- Northbound Lane of Quezon Blvd. from Carlos Palanca St. to Fugoso St.
- Westbound lane of España Boulevard from P. Campa to A Mendoza St.
- Stretch of Evangelista St. from P Paterno St. to Recto Ave.
- Stretch of Palanca St. from Carriedo/Plaza Lacson to P. Casal St.
Affected motorists are advised to take the following detours:
- Vehicles going to the southbound lane of Quezon Blvd from A. Mendoza must turn right to Fugoso St. then left to Rizal Avenue.
- Vehicles going to the southbound lane of España Blvd must turn left to Nicanor Reyes St., or turn right to P. Campa St., then left to A. Mendoza St., then right to Fugoso St.
- Vehicles coming from McArthur Bridge intending to utilize Palanca St shall instead go straight to Rizal Ave. towards their destination.
- Vehicles coming from Ayala Bridge intending to utilize Palanca St. shall go straight to P. Casal St. towards their destination.
- Vehicles coming from P. Burgos Ave. intending to utilize Quezon Bridge shall go straight to McArthur Bridge or Jones Bridge to point of destination.
Aside from the road closures and detours, the Manila City government has also announced the official parking plan for those planning to go on January 8, 10:00 PM onwards.
- Isetann Recto pay parking
- Pay parking area beside Dating Daan Building
- Quinta Public Market pay parking
- One eastbound lane of Carlos Palanca Street from Palanca Bridge
On January 9, more roads near Quiapo Church will be closed:
- Ronquillo St. from Rizal Ave. to Plaza Sta. Cruz
- Bustos St. from Plaza Sta Cruz to Rizal Ave.
Together with the additional road closures, vehicles will also be re-routed:
- Vehicles utilizing southbound lane of Rizal Ave. going to Ronquillo St. shall turn right to CM. Recto Ave., turn left to R. Regente St., to J. Luna St. turn left to Plaza Cervantes to Jones Bridge, or go straight to Muelle dela Industria to Escolta and towards their destination.
- Vehicles coming from McArthur Bridge intending to utilize Bustos St. shall go straight to Rizal Ave. to point of destination.
If you have plans on going to Manila this weekend, better plan your route ahead of time. Expect heavy traffic in the other areas of the city as well.