AUTO INDUSTRY NEWS

CAMPI, TMA report June 2017 sales gain with 37,361 units

CAMPI, TMA report June 2017 sales gain with 37,361 units image

Brent Co / AutoIndustriya.com | July 19, 2017 17:15

Slight growth of 6.1% for CAMPI, TMA members; 196,164 units sold for H1 2017

Auto sales continued its positive movement last month with a 6.1% increase versus May. Chamber of Automotive Manufacturers of the Philippines, Inc. (CAMPI) and Truck Manufacturers Association (TMA) members reported total sales of 37,631 units in June of 2017, representing a 6.1% increase over May's 35,469 figure. Passenger car sales surged 17% while Commercial vehicle sales was nearly flat at 0.7%.

Compared to the previous year, the figure reflects a 14.1% gain against the 32,993 unit total. Passenger Car sales went up by 14.4%, while Commercial Vehicle sales managed a 13.8% growth.

Still driving industry sales was the Commercial Vehicle segment which sold a total of 23,954 units, capturing 63.65% of the market. Passenger Car sales totaled 13,677, taking the remaining 36.35% share of the pie.

"The overall sales last June is relatively higher compared to that of May’s due to the well-maintained inventory levels helping the prompt delivery of vehicles amongst the major players. All these factors led to our improved sales in June 2017. In addition to a good stock level, manufacturers maximized 'dealer push' that brought higher sales specifically to their key models," said CAMPI president Rommel Gutierrez.

The Commercial Vehicle sub-segments were still led by Light Commercial Vehicles (LCV), comprising 63.78% of CV sales with 15,278 units sold; 2% more than last month's 14,984 total. AUV/MPV sales regained momentum with 7,414 units, a 0.7% slight gain compared to 7,344 last month. Truck and bus sales slowed down from last month's surge. Light truck sales were down 11.5%, selling a total of 749 units compared to the previous month's 846 unit total. Category 4 Heavy Duty Truck and Bus sales totaled 356 units (-24.9%) compared to last month's 474 units. Category 5 Heavy Duty Truck and Bus bucked the trend with 157 units sold, (+19.8%) compared to last month's 131 units.

Nearly all brands registered an increase in sales for the month of June. The top 3 advancers* were Volkswagen (ACEI) jumped up by 145.5%, Nissan (NPI) sales increased by 18.7%, and Honda (HCPI) with a 18.4% uptrend. Bucking the trend were Kia (CAC) with a 21.3% drop, Hino (HMPC) with a 11.1% decline, and Mitsubishi Motors (MMPC) with a 1.8% decline.

*only brands selling more than 100 units per month were included.

The top five performing manufacturers for the month of June are:

1. Toyota – 16,496 units (43.84% market share)

2. Mitsubishi – 6,287 units (16.71% market share)

3. Ford– 3,273 units (8.70% market share)

4. Isuzu – 3,097 units (8.23% market share)

5. Honda – 2,698 units (7.17% market share)

The total count for the first six months of 2017 sees Toyota Motor Philippines Corporation with its commanding lead of the market with 43.70-percent. Mitsubishi Motors Philippines Corporation followed in second with 17.61-percent. Ford Motor Company Philippines, Inc. remains in third with 8.51-percent. Isuzu Philippines, Corp. is in fourth position with 7.25-percent, with Honda Cars Philippines, Inc. remains in fifth with 7.03-percent.