Motorists will be able to use the new bridge connecting Makati and Mandaluyong tomorrow. After announcing that the Estrella-Pantaleon bridge will be open by the end of July, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) says it will be open to the public starting July 29, 2021.
The announcement came from DPWH Secretary Mark Villar himself. Per his announcement, the Estrella-Pantaleon bridge will be opened to motorists starting at 8:00 PM tomorrow. With it, the DPWH estimates that travel time between Mandaluyong and the central business district of Makati will be faster and easier.
Meanwhile, DPWH Undersecretary Emil K. Sadain said final safety checks on the bridge were conducted last July 27. The new bridge is set to accommodate around 50,000 vehicles daily. As such, it pays to have the bridge thoroughly inspected from top to bottom. The DPWH even conducted a drive-through test last week to ensure it can handle the influx of vehicles.
The PHP 1.46 billion bridge project has four lanes (two in each direction) and measures a total of 506.46-meters. It is made of a pre-stressed concrete rigid frame with corrugated steel webs. The new bridge replaces the previous two-lane box truss bridge made of modular steel components, which was dismantled in 2019.
Once it's opened to the public tomorrow evening, the DPWH believes the new Estrella-Pantaleon bridge will allow faster travel time between the two cities. Subsequently, it will also help in further decongesting vehicular traffic along EDSA.