Window hours removed, coverage extended and expanded – everything is all set for more stringent measures to reduce vehicular traffic congestion beginning next month.
The Inter-Agency Council for Traffic (I-ACT) has announced that the ‘expanded’ Unified Vehicular Volume Reduction Program (UVRP) or number-coding scheme begins on November 2, 2016, starting at 7AM until 8PM.
Duly-registered and franchised Public Utility Vehicles (PUVs) are also covered by the number coding scheme, but are banned from using the road from 7AM until 7PM.
The basic rule is that vehicles with the following ending plates are not allowed on the road on the corresponding days:
- Monday - 1 & 2
- Tuesday - 3 & 4
- Wednesday - 5 & 6
- Thursday - 7 & 8
- Friday - 9 & 0
The following cities are not covered by number coding (except for roads listed below): Marikina, Muntinlupa, Navotas and Taguig.
Parañaque implements 'selective' number coding on the following roads: San Antonio Ave., Pres. Aguinaldo St., Dominique Savio St., Japan St., Michael Rua St., France St., Doña soledad Extension and Doña Soledad Avenue in Brgy. Don Bosco, E. Rodriguez St. in Brgy. Moonwalk, East Service Rd. from Dr. Santos Ave. up to FTI Parañaque area, West Service road from Dr. Santos Ave. up to Merville Park Subdivision Parañaque area (With Window Hours)
Cities of Las Piñas, Mandaluyong and Makati implement number-coding on all roads from 7AM until 8PM.
Vehicles that fall under the number-coding scheme will not be allowed to use the following roads:
- R-1 Roxas Boulevard (CM Recto to MIA Road)
- R-2 Taft Avenue (Lawton to Redemptorist)
- R-3 South Superhighway (Quirino to Nichols Interchange)
- R-4 Shaw Boulevard (R. Magsaysay Blvd to Pasig Blvd)
- R-5 Ortigas Avenue (Santolan to Imelda Avenue)
- R-6 Aurora Boulevard/R Magsaysay Boulevard (R. Magsaysay/Legarda to C-5 Katipunan)
- R-7 Espana/Quezon Avenue/Commonwealth Avenue
- R-8 A. Bonifacio Avenue (Blumentritt to EDSA Balintawak)
- R-9 Rizal Avenue (Carriedo to Monumento)
- R-10 Northern Coastal (Recto to C-4)
- C-1 C.M. Recto Avenue (Roxas Blvd to Legarda)
- C-2 A.H. Lacson/Quirino Avenue (Roxas Blvd to R-10)
- C-3 G. Araneta Avenue/Sgt. Rivera (N. Domingo to R-10)
- C-4 EDSA (R-10 to Macapagal Blvd)
- C-5 (Commonwealth Ave to South Super Highway)
OTHER MAJOR THOROUGHFARES
- A. Mabini Street (Samson Road to C-3)
- Alabang-Zapote Road (Muntinlupa)
- McArthur Highway (Monumento to Valenzuela/Meycauayan Boundary)
- Marcos Highway (Katipunan Ave to Sumulong Highway)
Exempt from the ‘expanded’ UVVRP based on MMDA Memorandum Circular Number 3, Series of 2011 are the following:
- - Ambulance, fire trucks, police patrol cars, military vehicles with permanent marking indicating the vehicles as such. Ambulance and fire trucks, which are privately owned and properly marked as such, shall likewise be exempted;
- - Vehicles commandeered by the government directed by a person in authority/or by a medical practitioner for military relief or emergency purposes;
- - Vehicles carrying person/s needing immediate medical attention;
- - Diplomatic vehicles with diplomatic plates;
- - Government vehicles with government plates or appropriate LTO stickers with permanent markings expressly showing the name of government agency or office, including those vehicles of members of Congress with officially issued LTO Protocol plates while being utilized in the performance of their functions;
- - MMDA accredited tow trucks, provided that the accreditation papers must be carried and ready for presentation upon request.
- - Vehicles on a mission to carry relief goods to identified calamity or highly depressed areas.
- - Motorcycles provided that motorcycle drivers are complying with the prescribed motorcycle helmets under the Republic Act 10054.
- - Official and marked media vehicles.
Other vehicles, including school buses and company shuttle vehicles; unmarked vehicles of media practitioners; emergency care doctors; persons with disabilities; vehicles for perishable goods and Department of Tourism accredited tourism vehicles may also be excluded from the UVVRP on application, subject to evaluation and approval.