Earlier today, a supposed memorandum from the Land Transportation Office (LTO) was circulating on social media.
The text outlined plans to extend the validity of driver's licenses, vehicle registration, and the permits of MAIRDOEs (Manufacturer, Assembler, Importer, Rebuilder, Dealer and other Entities) by about two months to account for the time lost during the Enhanced Community Quarantine that was imposed upon all of Luzon, and various areas around the country.
We reached out to LTO Executive Director (ED) Romeo Vera Cruz regarding the matter and to confirm if the text was accurate, and he clarified that there is an internal LTO memo with these proposed extensions, but it wasn't final yet.
“The one posted is an internal memo for additional inputs among LTO RDs [Regional Directors],” said LTO ED Vera Cruz.
Apparently, the internal memo was not to be released to the public, yet a regional office of the LTO published it on their social media page without authorization from the LTO main office.
“We will issue a public advisory regarding the matter anytime today,” continued LTO ED Vera Cruz. “Other details will be incorporated.”
We also reached out to the Department of Transportation (DOTr) Assistant Secretary Goddes Hope Libiran, and she conferred with the office of LTO Chief Edgar Galvante and concurred that the guidelines weren't final yet. Moreover, the LTO main office had asked the region that inadvertently leaked the internal memo to delete the original post.
We're not quite sure which LTO regional office made the error, but below is the text that we were able to get from that post. Bear in mind that the guidelines below, as per senior LTO officers, are not final:
SUBJECT: LTO OFFICE PROTOCOL UPON RESUMPTION OF OPERATIONS AFTER THE ENHANCED COMMUNITY QUARTINE (ECQ)
IV. EXTENSION OF VALIDITY AND OTHER MATTERS
1. REGISTRATION - Considering the suspension of work during the ECQ period and to avoid congestion at LTO offices, validity of registration of motor vehicles expiring from March to October 2020 shall be extended by two (2) months without penalty. For motor vehicles with assigned plate numbers, see below.
A. For plate number ending in 3 and 4, the registration is still valid up to June 30, 2020 and can be renewed up to the said month without penalty. However, for those ending in 3, weekly late fee shall be charged if 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 is the middle or second to the last digit of the plate number.
B. For plate number ending in 5 and 6, the registration is still valid up to August 31, 2020 and can be renewed up to the said month without penalty.
C. For plate number ending in 7 and 8 the registration is still valid up to October 30, 2020 and can be renewed up to the said month without penalty.
D. For plate number ending in 9 and 0 the registration is still valid up to December 29, 2020 and can be renewed up to the said month without penalty.
For new registration, no penalty shall be collected for those vehicle purchased or with sales invoice dated March 1 to April 30, 2020 if Sales Reported within the 15 days upon work resumption.
2. DRIVER'S LICENSES, MAIRDOES ACCREDITATION AND OTHER PERMITS - Validity of driver's licenses, MAIRDOEs Accreditation and other permits issued by LTO, including TOPs, shall be extended equivalent to the duration of the ECQ or the number of days starting from the date of work suspension to the date of resumption in the area. Same period shall not be included in the computation for accessory penalties in apprehension cases.
3. DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS - All documentary requirements with validity period which have not been submitted to LTO because of the ECQ imposition but has expired during the same shall still be accepted. Counting of the validity period was effectively stopped by the imposition of the ECQ and during its entire duration.
4. ADVANCE RENEWAL - the policy on advance renewal shall be suspended until further notice.
5. RECOGNITION OF HEALTHWORKERS - In recognition of the heroism of medical frontliners, they shall be prioritized when transacting with the LTO similar to Senior Citizens, PWDs and pregnant women for the remainder of CY 2020.
This shall take effect upon the lifting of the ECQ and upon the recommendation of the Inter-agency Task Force (IATF) or their local counterparts that resumption of work is advisable.