Land Transportation Office (LTO) Spokesperson Jason Salvador dispelled rumors and speculations surrounding the controversial “No Registration, No Travel Policy” implemented by the agency on April 1st.
“No suspension on the implementation of the 'NO REGISTRATION NO TRAVEL POLICY'. LTO steadfast in implementing the law,” Salvador said in a tweet on his @JasonSalvador4 account.
The controversial policy has been subject to criticism by new car owners, car dealers, distributors, politicians, and MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino; who called the policy "UnChristian" due to its timing.
Senator Alan Peter Cayetano on the other hand called on the agency to put a 30-day moratorium on the implementation of the policy and revealed that he is filing a bill that punishes erring government suppliers and agencies to prevent these instances in the future.
Under the No Registration No Travel Policy, 4-wheeled motor vehicles which travel without plates will be flagged down subject to inspection by LTO Enforcers or LTO deputized agents.
The LTO has issued guidelines in the enforcement of the policy:
1. When making an apprehension, and when performing their duties as such, the LTO Enforcer or LTO Deputized Agent must at all times, wear their official uniform and official ID;
2. The Enforcer shall stop of flag down 4 wheeled motor vehicles which do not bear LTO issued license plates and/or the corresponding third plate sticker on the windshield;
3. Upon flagging down of a motor vehicle, the Enforcer shall approach the motor vehicle and require the driver/motor vehicle owner to present the following:
4. If the driver/motor vehicle owner is able to present the OR/CR, the motor vehicle owner shall be charged with the failure to Attach Authorized Motor Vehicle License Plates under Section II.
(e) of the Joint Administrative Order (JAO) No. 2014-01, which carries the penalty of fine in the amount of Five Thousand Pesos (Php 5,000.00);
5. The above shall not apply if an application for Special Plates was made by the owner of the motor vehicle, provided that he/she is able to present the LTO official receipt for the payment of
6. If the driver/motor vehicle owner is unable to present the OR/CR, the motor vehicle being alleged to be under the process of registration with this Office, the Enforcer shall require instead the presentation of the following;
7. If the driver/motor vehicle owner is unable to present any of the above documents and/or under the required dates thereof, of if the Motor Vehicle is being operated beyond the seven days the
date of the issuance of the Sales Invoice, the driver/motor vehicle owner and motor vehicle shall be penalized under the JAO 2014-01, as follows:
Such citation merely means that in the event that such driver commits reckless driving in the future, he shall be considered as having committed a second offense thereof, and penalized accordingly. For this purpose, the Enforcer shall charge the driver with reckless driving but the same shall be reversed during adjudication to prevent the collection of the penalty on reckless driving, but the same shall remain in the record of the driver;
8. For LTO Enforcers: Submit Daily Apprehension Report (DAR) on the enforcement of the No Registration, No Travel Policy, which should be duly received by the encoding section of either
the DO or the Operations Division. Said DAR shall be submitted within twenty four (24) hours (office hours) immediately after any law enforcement activity.
9. For Encoding Section: All apprehensions submitted in the morning (8:00am-12:00nn) shall be encoded in the afternoon (1:00pm-5:00pm) while those submitted in the afternoon (5:00pm onwards) shall be encoded in the morning (8:00am to 12:00nn) of the following day.
10. For other deputized agents, all TOPs shall be transmitted within twenty four (24) hours from the date of apprehension to the District Offices or Regional Offices which has the geographical area of responsibility (GAOR).
11. All Enforcers are strictly directed to completely fill-up the TOP, to wit:
12. No erasure/alterations and cancellation of TOP shall be allowed. Any TOP claimed as lost by the Enforcer, must be accompanied by an Affidavit of Loss and Plice and/or Barangay Blotter, without prejudice to his accountability.
13. Failure to observe the procedures stated above shall result in the nullification of the apprehension and the erring personnel shall be subject to appropriate disciplinary action and/or the revocation of the deputation order, without prejudice to the filing of appropriate criminal complaint/s.