It was about three months ago when the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) temporarily closed down the eastbound section of the Marcos Highway Bridge. This was done in order for rehabilitation works to begin on the 40-year old bridge that connects Marikina, Pasig, and Rizal to Quezon City and the rest of the metro.
Now that rehabilitation works on the eastbound lane have been completed, the MMDA announced that they will soon be closing down the westbound section in order for repairs to begin. According to MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia, the westbound portion of the Marcos Highway Bridge will be closed to motorists starting on August 26, 2019 at exactly 12:00 PM.
“After less than three months of repair, motorists going to Antipolo can now utilize the eastbound portion of the bridge,” added Garcia.
With the scheduled closure of the westbound lane set to cause heavy traffic still (especially during rush hours), Garcia stated that a zipper lane will be implemented on the eastbound lane in order for westbound motorists to have an extra lane to go through. The westbound side of the Marcos Highway Brige is set to be closed off for four months.
Motorists are advised to take the following alternate routes:
Cubao to Antipolo:
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd., then right turn to Katipunan Ave., take Service Road of Libis Underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo;
2. From Cubao, right turn to 15th Avenue then left turn to Boni Serrano, take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo.
Trucks from Cubao to Antipolo:
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd., then right turn to Katipunan Ave., take service road of Libis Underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano, straight to FVR Road, take Macapagal Bridge then Sumulong Highway to Antipolo.
Antipolo to Cubao:
1. From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway, then A. Bonifacio Avenue, straight ahead Aurora Blvd., to Cubao;
2. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway and right turn to Fernando Avenue, then take A. Bonifacio Ave. straight ahead Aurora Blvd. to Cubao;
3. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway, take down ramp to Marcos Bridge Service Rd., then FVR Rd., straight ahead right turn to Katipunan Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd., straight ahead to Cubao;
4. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Rd., straight ahead take Boni Serrano Ave., then right turn to 20th Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd., to Cubao.
Trucks from Antipolo to Cubao:
1.From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Rd. straight ahead, right turn to Katipunan Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd. straight ahead to Cubao.