Eric Tipan / Arian Kazemi | July 09, 2014 08:25
Also warns about 77 road projects that may cause flooding
With the rainy season upon us the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has classified specific areas of Metro Manila as flood prone and is warning the public to take extra precaution when using these roads.
Some affected areas get flooded due to any of the 77 ongoing road diggings and drainage works that are being conducted by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and water utility companies around Metro Manila including the Skyway Stage 3 and NAIA Expressway project.
“While we’ve been experiencing flood-induced traffic delays mainly because of these public works projects, when these are all finished, it is expected that it will bring big relief to the general public. We’re advising the public to avoid these areas, especially during heavy downpour in the evenings,” said MMDA Assistant General for Operations Emerson Carlos.
The MMDA will make all their resources available at any time including mobile pumps and other flood control equipment to aid in flood control and alleviate traffic.
As for the 22 flood prone areas, the MMDA says motorists should avoid these roads during a heavy downpour:
1. España-Antipolo-Maceda in Manila
2. P.Burgos-Manila City Hall vicinity
3. Osmeña-Skyway northbound in Makati
4. EDSA-North Avenue, Quezon City
5. Don Bosco, Makati
6. Buendia-South Superhighway Southbound, Makati
7. Buendia-South Superhighway Northbound, Makati
8. C-5-Bagong Ilog
9. West Service Road, Merville, Paranaque
10. East Service Road, Sales Street
11. North Avenue in front of Trinoma
12. Buendia extension Macapagal avenue - World Trade
13. EDSA - Camp Aguinaldo Gate 3
14. NLEX Balintawak - Cloverleaf
15. EDSA Megamall
16. EDSA Pasong Tamo Magallanes Tunnel
17. Quezon Avenue, Victory avenue/Biak na Bato
18. C-5-BCDA, Taguig City
19. R. Papa-Rizal Avenue, Manila
20. C-5 Mckinley Road
21. C-5 Bayani Road
22. Philcoa Area, Quezon City