MMDA warns motorists about 85 flood-prone areas
Motorists and the public are warned to avoid these areas during heavy downpour
After assuring the public that they’ve done their part to reduce the risk and the amount of flooding the metropolis will experience during the rainy season, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has just announced 85 areas in Metro Manila that are flood-prone and should be avoided by motorists and the general public.
As per the MMDA Flood Control Information Center (FCIC), these areas are:
- C-3 (Sgt. Rivera) cor. A Bonifacio Ave.
- A.Bonifacio cor Balintawak/NLEX/Cloverleaf
- A.Bonifacio cor Mauban St.
- Araneta Ave., (Talayan creek) Ma. Clara st.,.
- Quirino Highway-Mendez creek (fronting Phil-Am Hardware)
- Tandang Sora Ave., – Dona Soltera st.
- Commonweatlh Avenue cor. Feria road.
- Commonwealth Avenue cor. Don Fabian (Bitoon Circle)
- Commonweatlh Avenue cor. Winston st.
- Commonweatlh Avenue cor. Ilang Ilang st.
- Commonweatlh Avenue cor. Tandang Sora Ave/Katipunan Ave. (KFC)
- Edsa-Aurora Blvd. underpass(w/submersible pump)
- Edsa-Tuazon underpass
- Mother Ignacia cor. Samar st.
- E. Rodriguez sr. blvd. near De Los Santos hospital
- Araneta avenue near Rodriguez sr. blvd.
- Quezon Avenue corner Biak na Bato
- Blumentritt (Maria Clara to Calamba st.)
- Maceda St. (Piy Margal st. Makiling st.)
- Dapitan St. (Basilio to Casanas)
- Espana Blvd. (Antipolo St. to Blumentritt)
- Espana Blvd (Algeciras-to-A.H. Lacson)
- Rizal Avenue (C.M. Recto Ave to Doroteo Jose St.)
- Ramon Magsaysay Blvd. (D. Ampil St. to Ramon Magsaysay Flyover (to Cubao))
- Ramon Magsaysay Blvd. (Overpass to Quiapo)
- V. Mapa St. (Guadal Canal st. to old Sta. Mesa)
- A.Mendoza (Mayhaligue to Alvarez)
- C5 –Bagong Ilog
- C5 E. Rodriguez Jr. (Corner Eagle st.)
- Buendia Ave, (Bautista St.-Washington St.)
- Edsa-Pasong Tamo tunnel
- Edsa-Ayala Tunnel
- Magallanes Interchange
- C5 Kalayaan
- Pasongtamo (Arnaiz St.-Don Bosco St.)
- SLEX under Sales Bridge
- Edsa Taft
- Taft Ave. -Protacio
- Domestic Road cor. MIA Road
- Aurora Ave. cor Andrews
- F.B. Harrison-Edsa
- Taft Ave. Extension Baclaran
- Roxas Blvd.-Fronting Madrigal
- Andrews Ave. (Oval)
- Redemptorist/Taft ave. extension
- Quirino Avenue corner Kabihasnan
- Quirino Avenue-La Huerta Market
- Sucat Road-Canaynay Road
- Sucat road-Fourth Estate
- East Service Road. cor. Tanyag
- Service Road Coastal near Bayview Hotel
- East Service Road near Brgy. San Martin de Porres
- Ninoy Aquino Ave. (in front of PACGOR)
- Daang Batang near E. Rodriguez St.
- Quirino Avenue to Saulog
- Quirino Avenue to D. Fajardo going to Aldana
- Quirino Avenue near Naga Road
- Alabang-Zapote Road, Junction of Quirino
- Alabang-Zapote Road to Palace
- Caa to J. Tiongquiao Road
- Tramo Line to Casimiro-Camella Subdivsion
- Tramo Line to Casimiro Subdivision F. Santos
- Montillano st.
- Montillano-PNR to National Road
- National Road in front of City Hall
- National Road-in front of Summit Circle
- National Road-Pepsi Cola plant
- East Service Road
- M.L. Quezon Road
- San Guillermo Road
- PNR Open Canal Multi-Land, Putatan
- PNR Track
- JPA Subd., Tunasan
- E. Rodriguez Ave
- Arandia St.
- Letre/P. Aquino Road
- Dagat-Dagatan Avenue Ext.
- C-4 Citi Square
- General Luna/Hulong Duhat
- Women’s Club/ Hulong Duhat
- Letre Road/Lascano (due to Hight Tide)
The MMDA has cleared esteros, waterways, canals and gutters in an all-year round effort to ensure that in the event of a heavy downpour, rainwater will flow freely from the streets and out to the sea.
They have also improved and tested the Effective Flood Control Operating System (EFCOS), which was purchased from JICA Philippines for Php 16 million and upgraded 12 of the 54 pumping stations that can pump 350 drums of floodwater per second.
”We believe na prepared ngayon, so we don't know if etong advance preparation natin would be sufficient.,” said MMDA Chairman Emerson Carlos.
[We believe we are prepared but we don’t know if these advanced preparations would be sufficient.]