Motolite Balik-Baterya launches education advocacy, fetes donors
Motolite, the country's leading brand in automotive batteries, feted the donors and supporters of its Motolite Balik-Baterya program at a recognition night held last September 4, 2008, at the Asian Institute of Management, Makati City. It also launched the Learning Enhancement Assistance Package (LEAP) as a new advocacy to support education.
In partnership with the Philippine Business for Social Progress (PBSP) and the Department of Education, funds generated from the expanded collection campaign of the Motolite Balik-Baterya program will go into the Motolite-PBSP Balik-Baterya Project - Learning Enhancement Assistance Package (LEAP), which focuses on improving access to and quality of basic education through four components - upgrading teacher competencies through training, remedial reading camps, provision of textbooks and workbooks, and supplemental feeding activity.
Motolite Balik-Baterya is a corporate social responsibility program sponsored by Motolite, which hopes to inform the public of the harmful effects of improper battery disposal and aims to recover used lead acid batteries (ULABs) for proper recycling and waste management.
Philippine Batteries, Inc., the makers of Motolite Batteries, has been actively promoting the proper collection of ULABs since the 1980's. At the end of their useful life cycle, only 80% of these lead acid batteries reach a proper recycling center while the remaining 20% remain unaccounted for. This 20% roughly translates to over 600,000 discarded batteries per year - or over 5,000 metric tons of lead and just under 4-million liters of sulfuric acid - making their way to our waters and soils and contaminating these valuable resources.
Motolite's Balik-Baterya program leads the battle against the dangers of these polluting ULABs with an expanded collection scheme which brings used batteries to the country's only licensed battery recycler, Philippine Recyclers, Inc. (PRI), for proper recycling and waste disposal. Located in Marilao, Bulacan, PRI is the only DENR certified battery recycling facility with an internationally-accepted and ISO14001-certified environmental waste management system.
The Motolite Balik-Baterya Donors Recognition Event held last September 4 honored the local government units, business corporations, and other institutions which have generously supported the program over the years. In addition to the Plaque of Recognition awarded during the event, donors will also be listed in the roster of environmental advocates. Each donor also receives a Certificate of Donation from the Philippine Business for Social Progress (PBSP) that can be used for tax-deductible credits. It also receives a Certificate of Treatment from Philippine Recyclers, Inc., proving that its ULABs have undergone proper recycling and waste disposal.
For more information about the Motolite Balik-Baterya environmental and education advocacies, please contact the Corporate Social Responsibility Department of Motolite at (632) 415-1621, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.