Crossovers and SUVs are all the rage these days. So much so that there are some automakers ditching sedans in the foreseeable future. Ford was one of the first to drop sedans, followed by Mitsubishi. You can soon add Nissan to the mix.

End of the road for Nissan sedans? image

You heard that right, Nissan won't be developing sedans in the future, at least for the Japanese market. The reason, according to Nikkei Asia, is simple. It's all about crossovers and SUVs in their home market from now on. That said, they didn't mention anything about hatchbacks, so those will continue, along with kei-cars.

End of the road for Nissan sedans? image

Nissan sedan sales in Japan have dwindled over the years. Per the automaker's sales report, they sold just 5,800 four-doors in 2020, just 1% of their total tally. That means the remaining 99% (580,000 units) consisted of kei-cars, EVs, hatchbacks, crossovers, and vans. For comparison, Nissan sold over 100,000 Skylines during its peak in the '70s.

End of the road for Nissan sedans? image

So what models will get axed with this plan? Nissan currently offers three sedans in their home market. It includes the Fuga, Cima, and Skyline. With that in mind, this could spell the end for the Skyline bloodline that has spanned for over 60 years. The report added that Nissan's Tochigi assembly line will assemble the Ariya electric crossover as Skyline sedan production winds down. That said, they might keep the Skyline name but might turn it into a crossover for its next generation.

End of the road for Nissan sedans? image

But what about other markets? Sources say that they won't stop building and developing sedans outside Japan. After all, sedans are still strong sellers in North America, Asia, Latin America, and Eastern Europe. Per Nikkei, Nissan shifted about 950,000 sedans to other continents. Outside Japan, the sedans they offer include the Almera, Sylphy/Sentra, Lannia (for China), Altima, and Maxima.

The chairman of Nissan North America, Denis Le Vot, believes that sedans will find favor among consumers in the future. Le Vot has also put a lot of faith in the all-new Altima, which he says is just the start of the rejuvenation of the sedan. He reckons that the rising prices of oil worldwide will eventually see consumers choosing sedans over crossovers, pick-ups, and SUVs. The executive also believes that there is a promising market for sedans in Asia, particularly China.