Keeping true to its announcement late last year, Nurburgring track operator capricorn Nürburgring GmbH (CNG) has announced that it will lift the speed limits it has imposed on three sections of Nordschleife, otherwise known as ‘The Green Hell’ once the Veranstaltergemeinschaft Langstreckenpokal Nürburgring (VLN) Endurance Championship begins on April 2, 2016.
This development comes after was inspected and approved by the International Automobile Federation FIA and German motor sport association DMSB (Deutscher Motor Sport Bund) and new track licenses issued to CNG.
In the 2015 VLN Endurance Championship, a Nissan GT-R driven by Jann Mardenborough went airborne, flipped before landing in the audience and killing a spectator.
To prevent instances like this from happening again, safety measure were added to the track including additional ‘FIA lines of protection and metallic fences.’ A restricted zone has also been marked in the Schwedenkreuz section that will be off-limits to spectators.
“We could see for ourselves that the Nordschleife now fully complies with FIA and DMSB regulations. The Nürburgring implemented the jointly agreed catalogue of measures in an exemplary fashion,” said DMSB president Hans-Joachim Stuck.
“With these safety measures and the two new licenses we have created the prerequisites for an exciting racing season that will hopefully see no accidents, and we are glad that the speed limits are finally a thing of the past,” said Manfred Strack, head of the Nürburgring’s event management.