Phantom Silver marks centennary of Silver Ghost
First built in 1906, specifically to publicize the then new Rolls-Royce 40/50 h.p. six-cylinder model, the Silver Ghost established the Rolls-Royce reputation for reliability and engineering excellence. The name was coined in 1907 by Rolls-Royce Managing Director, Claude Johnson, by virtue of its silver coachwork and its 'extraordinary stealthiness'. The original Silver Ghost, registered AX-201, competed in the 1907 Scottish Reliability Trial, for which it won the gold medal in its class for hill climbing speed and reliability. The Silver Ghost went on in that year to break the world record for a non-stop motor run, covering a London to Glasgow route 27 times, with mileage totaling 14,371 miles.
More than 6,000 "Silver Ghosts" were built between 1907 and 1925, and sold in every corner of the world. The majority are still in good running order.
In tribute to the specifications of the original, the Phantom Silver is finished in a new Bespoke paint, Metallic Ghost Silver. The 21-inch wheels have chrome centers and on top of the grille sits a hallmarked solid silver Spirit of Ecstasy. Inside, Rose Leaf or Crème Light leather is accompanied by seat piping and headrests embroidered with the Rolls-Royce interlinked RR badge. Straight grained Santos Palissander wood veneer is used throughout. The same veneer is also used on a specially designed presentation box that houses the key, two solid silver key fobs and a specially commissioned solid silver Conway Stewart fountain pen.
Rolls-Royce Chairman and Chief Executive, Ian Robertson, said, "The Silver Ghost is such a significant model in the history of Rolls-Royce that we felt marking its 100 th anniversary was entirely fitting. Its extraordinary reliability, refinement, comfort and virtually silent running were as important to Rolls-Royce in 1907 as they are today."