AUTO INDUSTRY NEWS

Philippine auto sales down for third straight month in September 2017

Philippine auto sales down for third straight month in September 2017 image

Brent Co / AutoIndustriya.com | October 23, 2017 07:30

Slower sales of major distributors bring down overall auto sales to 34,445 units

Philippine auto sales were down for the third consecutive month in September with 34,445 vehicles sold, according to the latest report from the Chamber of Automotive Manufacturers of the Philippines, Inc. (CAMPI) and the Truck Manufacturers Association (TMA). Sales registered a slight decline of 2.4% compared to the previous month.

The slowdown is caused by slower sales performance by the top 3 distributors. However, sales performance was generally positive among most members.

Year-to-date growth still remained optimistic at 302,869 units with an 15.9% growth compared to last year's 229,919 units. Passenger car sales remain optimistic at +4.8% while Commercial vehicle sales remain healthy at +22.4%.

Compared to the same month in 2016, September 2017 reflected a 9.5% gain against the 31,451 unit total the previous year. Passenger Car sales went down by 13.2%, while Commercial Vehicle sales managed a 23.7% growth.

Still driving industry sales was the Commercial Vehicle segment which sold a total of 23,929 units, capturing 69.47% of the market. Passenger Car sales totaled 10,516, taking the remaining 30.53% share of the pie.

"September sales result decreased compared to August sales result because of decrease in sales of major distributors. Despite the decline in September sales, the outlook for succeeding months remains strong, driven by the good sales performance of key models. We maintain our optimism in achieving the year-end target with competitive promotional support and marketing activities to further push vehicle sales," said Atty. Rommel Gutierrez, CAMPI president.

The Commercial Vehicle sub-segments were still led by Light Commercial Vehicles (LCV), comprising 67.44% of CV sales with 16,137 units sold; 4.1% more than last month's 15,499 total. AUV/MPV reversed momentum with 5,981 units, an 12.9% downtrend compared to 6,864 last month. Truck and bus sales were mostly positive. Light truck sales gained 4.5%, selling a total of 1,088 units compared to the previous month's 1,044 unit total. Category 4 Heavy Duty Truck and Bus sales totaled 525 units (+30%) compared to last month's 404 units. Category 5 Heavy Duty Truck and Bus were down with 198 units sold, (-18.5%) compared to last month's 243 units.

Sales performance were mostly positive for most brands in September. The top 3 advancers*: Honda (HCPI) continued its surge with a 25.4% gain, Mercedes-Benz (ANG) sales increased again by 14.1%, BMW (ACC) sales recovered by 13.7%, Top three decliners for September* were Toyota (TMP) with a 7.8% drop, Suzuki (SPI) with a 5.1% decline, and Mitsubishi (MMPC) down by 5.0%.

*only brands selling more than 100 units per month were included.

The top five performing manufacturers for the month of September are:

1. Toyota – 14,348 units (41.65% market share)

2. Mitsubishi – 6,003 units (17.43% market share)

3. Ford– 3,154 units (9.16% market share)

4. Honda – 2,779 units (8.07% market share)

5. Nissan – 2,306 units (6.69% market share)

The total count for the first nine months of 2017 sees Toyota Motor Philippines Corporation with its commanding lead of the market with 43.82-percent. Mitsubishi Motors Philippines Corporation followed in second with 17.65-percent. Ford Motor Company Philippines, Inc. remains in third with 8.58-percent. Honda Cars Philippines, Inc. moves up to fourth with 6.87-percent, Isuzu Philippines, Corp. slides down to fifth position with 6.80-percent.