Brent Co / AutoIndustriya.com | June 13, 2017 11:55
CAMPI-TMA report 35,469 units sold; recover with 22.1-percent gain
Philippine auto sales has regained its positive movement last month following a shortened work month in April which saw a 20.6% decline. Chamber of Automotive Manufacturers of the Philippines, Inc. (CAMPI) and Truck Manufacturers Association (TMA) members reported total sales of 35,469 units in May of 2017, representing a 22.1% increase over April's 29,038 figure. Passenger car sales was up 18.5% while Commercial vehicle sales surged by 24%.
Compared to the previous year, the figure reflects a 17.0% gain against the 30,317 unit total. Passenger Car sales went up by 7.3%, while Commercial Vehicle sales managed a 22.4% growth.
Still driving industry sales was the Commercial Vehicle segment which sold a total of 23,779 units, capturing 67.04% of the market. Passenger Car sales totaled 11,690, taking the remaining 32.96% share of the pie.
"Sustained marketing efforts continue to push sales as reflected in May sales performance," said CAMPI president Rommel Gutierrez.
The Commercial Vehicle sub-segments were still led by Light Commercial Vehicles (LCV), comprising 63.01% of CV sales with 14,984 units sold; 20.5% more than last month's 12,430 total. AUV/MPV sales regained momentum with 7,344 units, a 29.2% surge compared to 5,685 last month. Truck and bus sales resumed their gains as the demand for infrastructure, construction and transport continues. Light truck sales surged 45.1%, selling a total of 846 units compared to the previous month's 583 unit total. Category 4 Heavy Duty Truck and Bus sales totaled 474 units (+32%) compared to last month's 359 units. Category 5 Heavy Duty Truck and Bus also recovered with 131 units sold, (+10.1%) compared to last month's 119 units.
Nearly all brands registered an increase in sales for the month of May. The top 3 advancers* were Honda (HCPI) jumped up by 56.3%, Toyota (TMP) sales increased by 23.8%, and Hino (HMPC) with a 22.4% uptrend. Bucking the trend were Volkswagen (ACEI) with a 30.4% drop, Mazda (BAP) with a 25% decline, and Mercedes-Benz (ANG) with a 21.8% decline.
*only brands selling more than 100 units per month were included.
The top five performing manufacturers for the month of May are:
1. Toyota – 15,791 units (44.52% market share)
2. Mitsubishi – 6,400 units (18.04% market share)
3. Ford– 3,036 units (8.56% market share)
4. Isuzu – 2,650 units (7.47% market share)
5. Honda – 2,278 units (6.42% market share)
The total count for the first five months of 2017 sees Toyota Motor Philippines Corporation with its commanding lead of the market with 43.67-percent. Mitsubishi Motors Philippines Corporation followed in second with 17.83-percent. Ford Motor Company Philippines, Inc. remains in third with 8.47-percent. Isuzu Philippines, Corp. is in fourth position with 7.02-percent, with Honda Cars Philippines, Inc. remains in fifth with 7.00-percent.