Marcus De Guzman / Inigo Roces | May 21, 2015 13:13
Hyundai will likely add a new subcompact crossover, pickup to their growing lineup
The Korean automaker is reportedly closing in on the approval of two new upcoming automobiles, a subcompact crossover and an alleged production version of the Santa Cruz Crossover Truck concept that was originally unveiled during the 2015 North American International Auto Show.
According to The Detroit Bureau, CEO of Hyundai Motor North America David Zuchowski said that the final approval of the two models has yet to arrive from company headquarters in South Korea but Zuchowski is confident that the top brass will give the go-ahead.
“There is a high probability we will get the approval of the truck soon”, said Zuchowski.
The CEO added that the original Santa Cruz concept was well-received by most and that 90% of potential buyers liked it which will likely cement the company's future in the commercial/ truck line segment.
As for the subcompact crossover, Hyundai is aiming to compete it against other nameplates like Chevrolet's Trax, Honda's HR-V and Jeep's Renegade.
The company originally planned to base the upcoming subcompact crossover on a Chinese model but it was deemed to conservative, so Hyundai North America now plans to make the small crossover on a new platform along with a more striking appearance.
Production of the two upcoming models is still undecided but Zuchowski is hoping that the automaker will be able to add a factory in the US as sister company Kia had already set up a new assembly plant down in Mexico.
Source: The Detroit Bureau