While the Skyway has served a good number of years easing traffic to and from the south of Metro Manila, progress has all but contributed towards its eventual congestion. The DPWH has been at work to address this concern, though, and while we wait for a widening project that can increase its capacity, the Skyway will have to employ a new traffic scheme until said project’s completion.
Originally, these were supposed to have been implemented last month, but were held back by the holidays. They will instead be implementing it starting February 16, 2020. The plan involves:
- The closure of one southbound lane (Lane 3) of Skyway at-grade and the northbound lane of the West Service Road from the Sucat Interchange to Alabang Viaduct.
- Closures of southbound Alabang exit plaza (beside the Alabang viaduct) and the nearby southbound Bunye South Station (heading to Crimson, Filinvest).
Among the work to be done in the area are bored piling and column installation activities that are expected to be finished in six (6) weeks.
Specifically, the new traffic scheme will be as follows:
For the closure of one at-grade southbound lane (Lane 3) at Skyway At-grade and portion of West Service Road northbound
- Class 1 Vehicles bound to Skyway NB at-grade, from Alabang-Zapote Road will take Filinvest Ave., turn left to Parkway St., then turn right to the access tunnel to the Filinvest northbound entry.
- Class 1 Vehicles bound to Skyway NB elevated, from Alabang-Zapote Road, take Filinvest Ave., turn left to Parkway St., then turn right to the access tunnel to the Filinvest northbound entry. Keep right and use the ramp before the Sucat interchange (On-ramp to Skyway Main Plaza).
- Class 1 and 2 vehicles bound to East Service Road, take a U-Turn at the Alabang Viaduct Ilalim in front of Starmall.
As for the closure of the toll plazas, the new traffic scheme are as follows:
- Class 1 and 2 vehicles headed to Alabang or Alabang-Zapote Road, take Filinvest Exit Toll Plaza, turn right at Corporate Ave., right to Civic Drive, right again at Corporate Ave., then right to Alabang –Zapote Road towards their destination.
- Class 1, 2, and 3 vehicles bound for Alabang, Putatan, and National Road can take the Susana Exit Toll Plaza, turn right at Susana Heights Ave., and turn either left or right on the National Road to their respective destinations
- Class 1 Vehicles bound for Alabang–Zapote Road, Filinvest, or Daang Hari may choose any of the following routes:
- Take Filinvest exit, straight to Filinvest Ave., left to Commerce Avenue and/or left Alabang - Zapote Road to destination and/or;
- Take Filinvest exit, right to Corporate Ave., left to Commerce Ave., right to Filinvest Ave., left to Alabang–Zapote Road.
Set for completion by December 2020, the Skyway Extension Project will add two lanes going north for a total of five northbound lanes, and three lanes going south for a total of four southbound lanes. It will increase the Skyway’s capacity by 4,500 vehicles per hour northbound, and 3,000 vehicles per hour southbound, giving motorists from Cavite, Laguna, Batangas and beyond, greater ease of travel to, or from, Metro Manila.
It will also provide motorists a direct connection to Skyway 1 and 2 and Skyway 3, which is set to open in April this year. This will allow motorists coming from the south to bypass Alabang and even Edsa, if they are headed to the airport, Makati, Manila, San Juan, Quezon City, or all the way to the North Luzon Expressway.
Patience is a virtue, citizens. Let’s try to learn and extend it a bit more; it will eventually help everyone later on.