Anton Andres / Presidential Communications | March 15, 2018 14:30
Bureau of Customs crushes second batch of cars as a warning to smugglers
Last month, the Bureau of Customs crushed nearly 30 cars as a warning to smugglers. Now, a second batch of cars have met their fate being run over by the tracks of a bulldozer.
14 cars, ranging from classics to sports cars, were destroyed in Cagayan. President Rodrigo Duterte witnessed the whole event. According to the BOC, the 14 cars were worth about Php 27 million. However, some commenters from social media are saying that there was no McLaren or Ferrari in sight during the occasion.
That said, some of the cars in this round included a previous-generation Maserati Quattroporte, a 996 Porsche 911 GT3 and a classic Opel Manta GT/E. A large chunk of the cars destroyed were Mercedes-Benzes, and there's even a Renault R5 Turbo that was among the ruins. More cars will be destroyed over the course of the year.
According to port officials, cars seized from the past five years, amounting to approximately 800 vehicles, will eventually be destroyed.
Like last month's destroying of seized vehicles, the move drew mixed reactions from social media. Some are saying that the cars would be better off being re-appropriated to various branches of government while others applaud the actions of the administration in their zero tolerance approach to smuggling. Regardless of public opinion, the government says they will continue its crackdown on vehicle smuggling.