Just a few weeks ago, motorists who frequent Commonweath Avenue, as well as Tandang Sora, were bracing themselves for the demolition of the Tandang Sora Flyover. There's a bit of good news as the MMDA has announced that it won't be closed, and eventually demolished; for now, that is.
The closure of the flyover which was previously set for February 23 at 11:00PM was moved as of today. Instead, the flyover will be closed and demolished on March 1. This was following a call from the House committee to move the taking down of the said structure. Quezon City vice mayor Joy Belmonte expressed concerns that their residents have not been sufficiently informed regarding the matter.
MMDA general manager Jojo Garcia also told reporters that they will have to clear more roads in order to make traffic flow smoother, and have more alternate routes as well. That being said, the Tandang Sora Flyover's days are still numbered nonetheless. Garcia further states that this closure will take effect well into 2020 or until the MRT-7 line is complete.
For now, the MMDA has yet to make an advisory regarding the matter. If the agency will stick to their original traffic re-routing scheme, affected motorists will have to divert towards temporary U-Turn slots 500 meters away from the large intersection on both directions. They are also considering the addition of elevated U-Turn slots although plans for that have yet to be finalized.
More information regarding the closure and re-routing are likely to be available in the coming days.