Ten teams to challenge 1400km-record
Responding to the challenge to set a new record on Philippine road and driving conditions, ten teams have been chosen to compete in the Media Edition of the Petron Xtra Mile Challenge, which is set to take off in early January.
The Xtra Mile Challenge is a marathon fuel economy run which asks: "How far can you go on one full tank of Petron Xtra Unleaded?" The current record, set by team Zayco Hermanos, stands at 1,400.4-kilometers. This is the record that the media teams are set to break.
Now gearing up for their run are media teams from print, radio, tv and online, who represent not just the motoring beat, but also business, information technology, and news and public affairs. The 10 teams are as follows:
1. The Philippine Star, consisting of Wheels project manager Jeff Reyes and motoring columnist Lester Dizon
2. Top Gear Magazine, represented by editor-in-chief Vernon Sarne and senior art director Jaykee Evangelista
3. DZMM, made up of Radyo Patrol manager Angelo Almonte and news reporter Ricky Velasco
4. Auto Review, with host/production manager Ronald de los Reyes and camera man Raymund Sanchez
5. Stoplight TV, consisting of executive producer Edgar Quesada and director Joselito Mendoza
6. Motoring team, with MetroActive magazine's Ira Panganiban and Business Mirror motoring columnist Andy Sevilla
7. Business beat, represented by Roman Floresca, assistant business editor of The Philippine Star, and Delfi n Perez, assistant business editor of Manila Bulletin
8. Radio reporters Jess Garcia, senior reporter of DZRH, and Joseph Javier, field reporter for PBS-Radyo ng Bayan
9. Autoindustriya.com, consisting of senior writer RD Young, and editor-in-chief Brent Co
10. Cyberpress, with Manila Times tech editor Jing Garcia, and Manila Bulletin IT reporter Melvin Calimag
The first Xtra Mile record was set in 2005 by Philippine motorsport legend Pocholo Ramirez, who was able to drive 1,114-kilometers on one full tank of Petron Xtra Unleaded from just outside Pagudpud in Ilocos Norte, to Casiguran, Sorsogon. In May 2006, six teams of everyday motorists competed in the Xtra Mile Challenge. All six teams broke Ramirez's record, with team Zayco Hermanos posting 1,400.4-kilometers on one full tank.
According to Petron vice-president for marketing Jose K. Campos, "We definitely expect the media teams to once again break the record. Our Petron Xtra Unleaded gasoline has been specially formulated to promote more efficient combustion and lower fuel consumption. With high-performance additives to ensure optimum vehicle performance, we are confident that the Xtra Unleaded will be able to provide power for extra miles."
The Petron Xtra Mile Challenge Media Edition is supported by Honda Cars Philippines, Inc., which is providing the official competition vehicles for the 10 media teams, and the support vehicles for the operations crew. Official observers for the run will come from the Automobile Association Philippines (AAP) and the Car Awards Group Inc. (CAGI).