Suzuki announces major EV plans for 2030
That headline you just read is not a typo. Suzuki is gearing up for an electric vehicle (EV) future and that includes a Jimny with an electric powertrain.
This was confirmed by the automaker recently after it showcased its extensive plan to launch several BEVs (battery electric vehicles) in key markets around the globe. By 2030, Suzuki plans to have five BEVs in Europe, six in Japan, and six in India.
Based on the infographic Suzuki shared, one of its most important BEVs will be an electric version of the highly-popular Jimny. Compared to the regular 4x4, the EV Jimny will supposedly have a different front grille as well as a unique pair of LED headlights. Information about its powertrain are not yet available but it will most likely carry over its ladder-frame chassis but will instead have electric motors and a high-capacity battery.
Aside from the Jimny, a production version of the Fronx which was revealed recently in India will also be available as an electric car. Perhaps Suzuki plans on offering the Fronx BEV in Europe solely as an electric car. Other BEVs planned for Europe include what looks like a van, another crossover, and what appears to be a hatchback.
The first electric Suzuki will arrive in Europe by 2024. We’re not entirely sure what the first BEV will be although the automaker did mention that the production-ready eVx is expected to be available by 2025. Not only that, but Suzuki plans to have BEVs account for 80% of its European lineup. Meanwhile, the remaining 20% will be hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs). With Europe planning to ban ICE-powered cars by 2035, this is essentially Suzuki speeding up its BEV plans before the ban takes effect.
Over in Japan, Suzuki says the first EV will arrive this year and they will be introducing 6 new models. The Japanese market will have an almost similar lineup to Europe except for what looks like an EV version of the Hustler and Every kei cars. But unlike Europe, Japan wants the BEV lineup in its home market to only consist of 20% BEVs while HEVs will make up the remaining 80%.
As for India, the automaker plans to have 6 BEVs available by 2030, with the first one arriving by 2024. But unlike Europe and Japan which will have a BEV and HEV lineup, the Indian market will still see a significant share of ICE - 60% to be exact. BEVs and HEVs, on the other hand, will only make up 15% and 25%, respectively.
With electrification set to become the standard in almost every market, Suzuki is wasting no time investing and making big changes to meet the upcoming demand for more electrified vehicles. Perhaps the only question now is, will Suzuki Philippines get any of the EVs, including the Jimny? That we’ll have to wait and see.