The FIA Word Motor Sports Council recently unveiled the renamed TCR International Series during a meeting in Qatar. Formerly named as the TC3 International Series, it is now promoted by WSC Ltd., while heading the new racing series is former WTCC boss Marcello Lotti.
“The name TC3 has been chosen to introduce the technical concept of a global Touring Car category, based on production cars, that was affordable to private teams and drivers and inspired by the existing GT3 concept,” said Lotti.
Lotti also added that the change in name also meant that the TCR International Series will create a strong and personal identity, which will avoid confusion or conflict with other Touring Car championships.
Eligible cars that have been drafted by TCR as of late include the Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV, the Ford Fiesta ST, the Honda Civic TCR, the Opel Astra OPC Cup, the Seat Leon Racer and the Volkswagen Golf GTI.
The inaugural season of the TCR International Series will take place on twelve countries over three continents, with the opening race set to begin on March 29, 2015 at the Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia.
More details about the TCR International Series can be found here on this link.
The 2015 TCR International Series Calendar:
1. March 29 - Sepang International Circuit, Malaysia
2. April 12 - Shanghai International Circuit, China
3. May 3 - Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo, Spain
4. May 10 - Autódromo Internacional Algarve (Portimão), Portugal
5. May 24 - Autodromo di Monza, Italy
6. May 31 - Salzburgring, Austria
7. June 21- Sochi Autodrom, Russia
8. July 26 - Autódromo Juan y Oscar Gálvez (Buenos Aires), Argentina
9. August 9 - Autódromo Internacional Codegua, Chile
10. September 20 - Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore
11. October 25 - Buriram International Circuit, Thailand
12. November 22 - TBA