RACING NEWS

Report: McLaren, Honda agree to end partnership in Formula 1

Report: McLaren, Honda agree to end partnership in Formula 1 image

Jose Altoveros / Formula 1 | September 14, 2017 06:35

McLaren to use Renault powerplant in 2018 F1 season

One team that has been consistently struggling to finish in the points during this season's Formula 1 Championship is McLaren. The team has consistently been hit with reliability issues since they switched to Honda powertrains. On top of that, the McLarens of Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne have already gone through more than ten power unit failures within the course of the 2017 season.

Perhaps, this is why McLaren and Honda have reportedly parted ways for the 2018 Formula 1 season. Instead, McLaren is said to have already signed a three-year deal with Renault, making them their new engine supplier. The McLaren-Renault deal is reported to last until 2020, where new F1 engine regulations will take place soon after.

In the report by Motorsports.com, McLaren is said to have equal power unit specifications with the Renault works team and Red Bull. So far this season, the Renault power units have been consistent and reliable as both the Red Bull team and the Renault works team have been finishing in the points, with the former currently sitting in third overall team standings. This switch is said to give McLaren a better chance of scoring more points in the next season.

The reported McLaren-Renault deal is also said to help keep Alonso in the team. As of the moment, only Vandoorne has been officially confirmed a McLaren seat in the 2018 season. Alonso's future with the team and Formula One is still uncertain.

Source: Motorsports.com