Jose Altoveros / Red Bull Racing | September 15, 2017 12:26
Red Bull may switch to Honda engines by 2018
Earlier this week, it was reported that McLaren and Honda will be parting ways at the end of the current season of Formula 1. Instead, McLaren will reportedly be using Renault power units at the start of the next season with the McLaren-Renault deal lasting until 2020.
In a new development, reports have surfaced that another team will be parting ways with their current engine supplier. Red Bull and Renault are said to split as well after the end of the 2019 Formula 1 season. The decision to split was reportedly attributed to the power unit supplied by Renault to Red Bull, which has been less competitive than that of its rivals Mercedes, and Ferrari.
Prior to the switch to the current engine regulations in 2014, Red Bull and Renault were a very competitive duo. The two were able to secure four consecutive driver's championships and constructor's titles from 2010 to 2013. However since the switch to current regulations, the Renault power units have struggled compared to its rivals
Prior to this, the Toro Rosso team is said to have already made the switch to Honda power units, signing on a three year deal with the Japanese automaker. Part of the deal involved Toro Ross driver Carlos Sainz being signed for Renault, replacing Jolyon Palmer. The deal is said to be confirmed during the Singapore Grand Prix.
If the split between Red Bull and Renault pushes through, Red Bull would be left no other options but to sign a deal with Honda as other engine suppliers are unlikely to provide them with power units. The switch to Honda power units is said to also open options for the two Red Bull drivers to switch teams after their contracts expire in 2018.