News:

Please keep the forum spam free. No advertisement posts in the forums.

Main Menu

1 vs. 2 amps

Started by snapz, March 09, 2005, 07:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapz

im planning to buy amps to power my 3 subs and yung seps ko

so would it be better then to get an amp for the 2 subs

tapos isa para sa seps and dun sa isa ko pang sub

thanks

these are the specs of the subs nga pala

Type Component
Function Subwoofer
Size 12"
Nominal Power Handling 150 Watt
Powered Non-Powered

Technical Features
Peak Power Handling 300 Watt
Frequency Respond 25 Hz - 500 Hz
Sensitivity 88.6 dB
Impedance 4 ohm

Components
Woofer Material Poly / Plastic
Surround Material Foam

Mounting
Enclosure Non-Enclosed
Top Mounting Depth 5.5 In.
Mounting Diameter / Length 10.88 In

Protege Mania

Im planning to do the same thing.Here's my theory on why it's better:

When I tweak the bass boost,specially to make the bass more pronounced, siyempre iba yung naka sub,x-over at amp,so kahit taasan mo yung bass boost,hindi sumasabog yung sound.

With the EQ on my new HU,sometimes,sumasabaog na yung tunog pag masyado nang malakas.theoretically,if I had a different amp plugged into a dedicated sub preamp output, I can boost the bass in the preamp and the class D amp, and theoretically the bass will be louder and deeper without the previous problem.

Take note,I say theoretically because I havent tried it out.Experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

IMm29

Having 2 amps vs just 1 will give you more flexibility when tuning.  In some cases, you will need 2 amps instead of 1, depending on the capability of the amp.  Plus, assuming your electrical system can give them the current they both need, they will give you better SQ or boom-boom.

In your case, for example, you have 3 4ohm subs that can handle 150w RMS each.  So that's about 450w RMS at 1.33 Ohms.  Most high powered stereo amps on briged mode can handle the 450w RMS, but at 4 ohms, not at 1.33 ohms.  So you really need a mono amp for your subs, and at least a 2 channel amp for your seps.

The Devil Drives Prado

Raymond

For me, these are the advantages:

1.) you could choose a dedicated sub amp (monoblock or class-D amp) to power your subs and cleaner amps (class A or AB) to power your seps.

This is one option of multi-amp setups. You could choose a sub amp to power your subs and cleaner amps for your seps. In this way, the sound quality of the AB amps won't be wasted in powering a subwoofer (which is limited to boom-boom frequencies hence the SQ of the Class A/AB amp isn't utilized fully).

disadvantages:

1.) wiring, you have to add another power line for the second amp, which could either translate to a purchase of a distribution block.
2.) Space
3.) Current draw - instead of one amp drawing current from the car's electrical system, there are two.
4.) Grounding

But, having the option to go multi-amp depends really on the setup that you want to have and how deep your pocket goes (budget). For starters, they usually start with a 4-channel amp and when the time comes that they feel they want more power, they add another amp (usually 2-ch) and bridge the 4-ch amp so that it becomes 2-ch, provided that the resulting wattage could still be handled by the seps (or others go full active).

mc_robie

follow up question lang po...
is it really necessary to have a distribution block? or just for those high powered amplifiers? i had my 4 channel amp and pre amped sub powered in series before. no negative output. amp was a gto4000 and sub was a substation.

Raymond

Quote from: mc_robie on March 24, 2005, 03:06:29 AM
follow up question lang po...
is it really necessary to have a distribution block? or just for those high powered amplifiers? i had my 4 channel amp and pre amped sub powered in series before. no negative output. amp was a gto4000 and sub was a substation.

for me it would be safer if may distribution block, much better if it's a fused distribution block. Not only for aesthetics but for function as well.

snapz

guys, thanks for the info ill be getting a 2nd amp---rockford 60 ix for the seps...and ung distribution block malamang para safe

snapz

guys, di na natuloy ung plano ko na 3 subs, i decided to go for the 2 subs i have, kasi sobrang complicated and medyo mahal pag 3 subs so i bought na lang an amp for the subs and an amp for the seps para straight forward na setup

dis is current set up

2 12 inch kicker competition series subs

rockford 200 ix

ill be buying ung rockford 60 ix for the seps (tom)

seps la pa ako napipili

old school halos lahat ng components, except maybe for the seps

salamat sa lahat ng feedback

westrak

GUys, Pwede b makahingi ng opinyon,kc may dalawa ako subs pioneer champion series 400watts t0 1200watts maximum power (12 Inches each) dual  voice coil 4 to 2 ohms impedance,kailangan ko sana ng amps to drive my two subs sana mabigyn nyo ako idea if ano ano amps at specs kailangan to drive my two subs,

Thanks & more power :cheer:

Eleuteria

I agree with the EQ on my new HU,sometimes,sumasabaog na yung tunog pag masyado nang malakas.theoretically,if I had a different amp plugged into a dedicated sub preamp output, I can boost the bass in the preamp and the class D amp, and theoretically the bass will be louder and deeper without the previous problem.

alberta ford

my uncle knows when will be the sound na sasabog kaya di nya full volume pag merong gyera nang sounds baga lumala pa yong damage pag my trouble

DTNS

Good read! :cheer:

I was about to ask the same question as the thread starter. then I saw this thread.

I'll probably get a 4-ch amp now, then a mono amp later.

Leo C.

@DTNS.  If you don't have plans to upgrade in the future and you want to maximize space, you can consider a 5-channel amp.

Brent

5-channel is really the best so you have less wiring and clutter in your trunk. I used to have a JL 500/5 which I sold to El.

DTNS

I think I'll put off buying an amp (and a sub) for now. daming gastos eh. hehe!  ;D

a 5-ch amp is like a "super-zoom" for car audio. it costs a lot more. but is convenient to get and have, if you can afford it.  ::)

Subscribe to our channel
subscribe to our youtube channel