recommended engine oil for 2009 Honda Jazz 1.5 iVtec

Started by Echo07, July 27, 2012, 04:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echo07

guys!  i need your honest opinions.

it's about time to change the engine oil of my 2009 honda jazz 1.5 ivtec.  since my 3yrs warranty expires last march2012, now i can choose either to go back to my honda dealer for a change oil (medyo expensive) or opt for another engine oil at par with that of what honda is selling.

what you guys would recommend? 

thanks so much. 

my 1st time to ask for help, pasensya na guys.

Halimaw

Idemitsu Extreme Eco Fully Synthetic @ around 1.5k 4L
Honda is rebranded idemitsu oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Victorb

or oem honda mineral oil 10w-30. 800 pesos only for 4 liters (dealer price)

bayen

Delo Gold Ultra 15w40 is a superior oil. CI-4 rated so its very good oil. excellent additive content and price is just unbeatable. just make sure you use a good oil filter with it so you can do extended oil change interval on it. (10,000 KM- - 12, 000 KM)

Victorb

Delo Gold is really made for diesel engines / trucks. I wouldn't use it for his application

Change it every 5,000kms

Brent

Quote from: bayen on November 14, 2012, 12:49:00 PM
Delo Gold Ultra 15w40 is a superior oil. CI-4 rated so its very good oil. excellent additive content and price is just unbeatable. just make sure you use a good oil filter with it so you can do extended oil change interval on it. (10,000 KM- - 12, 000 KM)

CI-4 rating is useless for gas engines. CI-4 rating is for diesel. While it certainly is a good oil in itself. I would concur with EudmAccord.

Recommending extended drain without knowing the actual usage of the vehicle is bad for the engine. Mobil 1 salespeople are very much guilty of that.

For the Jazz use good a 5W30 or 10W30 oil.

Victorb

My opinion / recommendation:

The 'maximum' drain interval for any good synthetic oil here in the Philippines would be 10,000kms or (strictly) or 250-300hrs of operation - Mobil 1 USA, Motul,  New local Castrol Edge, Redline, and liquimoly*

Good mineral oils could be extended up to 5,000-6,000kms or 150-200hrs of operation*

* Philippine climate + stop & go traffic.

Brent

What if you achieve 10,000 km in 2 years? Change oil every 2 years?

Victorb

IMO. Yes, a good synthetic should hold up pretty well. Also in our country the climate never gets below 20 degrees thus, severe condensation should not occur -- forming while-milky 'mayonnaise' like oil in the engine.

Per Mobil 1 USA, they recommend changing their oils once a year

OT. Brent, i'll See you soon at the carshow, GT5 competition

Brent

I wouldn't leave my oil inside the engine for two years. I won't recommend it as well. The recommendation of changing at least once a year should be the rule of thumb for cars you seldom use.

If you check manufacturer service schedule it's always mileage OR time period whichever comes first.

Yes see you at Manila Auto Salon. It's going to be another fun challenge there.

gutz_3110

hi guys,

i didnt mean to hijack the thread , but since its all honda and motor oil, here goes.  i'm also changing motor oil for my civic dimension.  i appreciate your recommendations also aside from spark plug and motor oil, ar there other thing i'd like to consider for replacemeb?.  im on a budget right now as i'll be replacing timing belt and atf too. thanks!

Subscribe to our channel
subscribe to our youtube channel