News:

Welcome to the AutoIndustriya.com Car Discussion Forums!

Main Menu

what's the correct heat range for iridiums?

Started by nukee, February 05, 2003, 12:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nukee

I have a n/a b18b frankie

What correct plugs should i use?

Is it ik22 or ik24

help pls.

Brent

Ask you mechanic that question. He was the one who built the engine and SHOULD be able to tell you the right heat range. The 22 is equivalent to an NGK 7 while the 24 is the NGK 8.

nukee

i did ask him that.

he said i should use ik22. But some people i ask naman said that ik22 is for turbo. I should use daw ik24

I don't know which to trust naman eh.

U brent what do you use?

clyde

from what i read from NGK heat range ratings, a lower number represents a HOT plug while a higher number represents COLD plugs. so if the ik22=NGK7 then it's a hot plug while the ik24=NGK8 is a cold plug. therefore, for turbo applications, i think u must be using colder plugs(ik24).

but u can always experiment with this two since they are close enough in heat ranges. observe driveability when engine is hot. if quite sluggish with the hot plug, change to a colder plug one step down. also observe during cold starts especially in the morning times, when hard starting occurs with cold plugs, change to a hotter one. there are pros and cons but surely you'll be set and go.

a hot plug does not mean it's for hotter applications. a cold plug dissipates heat quicker tha a hot one therefore allowing the combustion chamber to cool-off faster. one spark plug feature i guess everyone misses.

u may want to read more about sparkplugs. please follow this link of NGK. a very nice one.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/overview.asp

happy tuning! :)

Brent

Quote from: nukee on February 05, 2003, 03:51:51 PM
i did ask him that.

he said i should use ik22. But some people i ask naman said that ik22 is for turbo. I should use daw ik24

I don't know which to trust naman eh.

U brent what do you use?

nukee

You have been asking the wrong people then. If turbo needs 22 because it needs a colder plug, why recommend to you a 24 which is even a colder plug for NA.

Pare trust your mechanic, he knows better coz he was the one who put your engine together.

I use a 22 for NA application, that was my mechanic's recommendation.

nukee

tnx guys,

you've been a big help.

by the way just in case you wonder

the person who suggested ik24 to me was the one in speedmode in e rodrigez.

I dnt like them there sometimes there so arrogant as if they're so knowledgable.

Anyway thats just my opinion.

Subscribe to our channel
subscribe to our youtube channel