News:

Please keep the forum spam free. No advertisement posts in the forums.

Main Menu

truck spoilers

Started by DTNS, June 06, 2003, 05:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTNS

just curious, I've been seeing commercial trucks with top mounted spoilers. What are these top mounted spoilers for?  ::)

drexx

05Jun2003 (UTC -7)

Quote from: DTNS on June 06, 2003, 05:49:13 PM
just curious, I've been seeing commercial trucks with top mounted spoilers. What are these top mounted spoilers for?  ::)

Trucks/SUVs don't need spoilers: they can't really achieve very high speeds, and are very heavy  :)
It's actually called rear wind deflectors. They route air from the roof to the tailgate window so as to help it keep it clean a little while longer. Without it, there's a huge vacuum created in the tailgate when the SUV is at forward speed, thus sucking in lots of dirt that sticks to the tailgate. The disadvantage is that it helps affect fuel mileage, as it increases drag.
Drexx Laggui  -  TLCA; PMC
San Jose, CA, USA
My off-road action! UZJ-100W; FZJ-80L; HDJ-80L; LN-166
[IMG]htt

ted

Quote from: drexx on June 07, 2003, 04:41:34 AM
05Jun2003 (UTC -7)

Trucks/SUVs don't need spoilers: they can't really achieve very high speeds, and are very heavy  :)
It's actually called rear wind deflectors. They route air from the roof to the tailgate window so as to help it keep it clean a little while longer. Without it, there's a huge vacuum created in the tailgate when the SUV is at forward speed, thus sucking in lots of dirt that sticks to the tailgate. The disadvantage is that it helps affect fuel mileage, as it increases drag.

drexx,

i think what DTNS was talking about are those wind deflector  for the  closed vans, wherein their carried containers are higher than the cab....its for reducing wind drag.

am i right, DTNS?

EL3MenT0_101

style, looks.....3rd brake light....it's not only car owners who can put spoilers/wings to make them "look good"  ;D

DTNS

Quote from: ted on June 07, 2003, 06:58:47 AM
Quote from: drexx on June 07, 2003, 04:41:34 AM
05Jun2003 (UTC -7)

drexx,

i think what DTNS was talking about are those wind deflector  for the  closed vans, wherein their carried containers are higher than the cab....its for reducing wind drag.

am i right, DTNS?

ted,

I think you're right.

drexx

07Jun2003 (UTC -7)

Please pardon my ignorance. Mayruon nga palang SUV spoilers, for the Land Cruiser pa! I just saw these a while ago (upper left corners), and indeed, it's only for looks:
http://www.toyotauae.com/international/imagesUrl/main_lc1.jpg
http://www.toyotauae.com/international/images/lc_prado/main.jpg

Here's a picture of my rear wind deflector, and my Dutch buddy's own:
http://www.pbase.com/image/13124243
http://www.pbase.com/image/12753383

Drexx Laggui  -  TLCA; PMC
San Jose, CA, USA
My off-road action! UZJ-100W; FZJ-80L; HDJ-80L; LN-166
[IMG]htt

Freeman

Obviously DTNS was referring to real trucks. He accurately called them commercial trucks. And Ted's answer was right.

Hey man, your taking the street truck description of this forum too literally.

:) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

We never thought that this type of discussion would ever come up!?!?!

ted

Quote from: RoniN on June 07, 2003, 07:54:14 PM
We never thought that this type of discussion would ever come up!?!?!

dont you think this is positive? the website is living up to its name, by taking a more broader aspect of the industry...even  though brands and models are limited in our country :-[

Freeman

You can't be serious?!? Maybe we should open another forum called "Cargo Trucks, Lorries and other Big Ass Haulers"

Anyway, refer to the origin of this thread in the U-turn Forum.

Subscribe to our channel
subscribe to our youtube channel