News:

Please keep the forum spam free. No advertisement posts in the forums.

Main Menu

Freelander

Started by Pluto'ng Aso, June 08, 2003, 10:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pluto'ng Aso

N E I L

mmm, i thought it was already here..saw one in bicutan....is it true it would cost 1.6M( got that info from another site)

EL3MenT0_101

Nice, hope they don't neuter/spay it ...

The good:
2.5L V6 producing 174 HP 177lb-ft of Torque
AWD
Handling is good, can handle twisties
traction control
capable off roader(of course it's a Land Rover)
Great equipments and options
The bad:
interior space is cramped, even smaller than CR-V. Hope not smaller than the Rav-4 :)
Gas guzzler

Other than that I bet it's a great SUV to be available in our market.

Pluto'ng Aso

from what i was told it will even be made available in diesel. for its off roadability check out the G4 challenge

johnqpublic318

Indirect competitor of the CRV, Escape and RAV4.  Indirect cause it's more expensive.

Somewhat off-road capable because of Hill Descent and Traction Control but limited by lack or low-range and small tires...

I doubt if the Phil model will get the 2.5-liter V6.

DTNS

I hope the engine in the Freelander we'll be getting is the 2.0L BMW turbodiesel!  ::)

That should eradicate fuel consumption woes.  ;)

Roverphile

Quote from: DTNS on June 09, 2003, 12:14:22 PM
I hope the engine in the Freelander we'll be getting is the 2.0L BMW turbodiesel!  ::)

That should eradicate fuel consumption woes.  ;)

You got it!!

Dondie

Really? I saw 2 already since last year. :)

I like the freelander, pero I saw this review by the Top Gear crew, they brought the freelander to a car design academy in italy yata. Students didnt like the overall design of the vehicle.. ;) They were like expecting a Ferrari-ish body couture.. duh.

Well thats good news, just like john said, its a indirect substitute to the Rav4s and escapes. ;) the more variety of cars released here sa pinas, the better. :D
JDMselect - High Quality Parts and Service

144 Mindanao Ave. Q.C.

86 Gil Fern

Pluto'ng Aso

Quote from: johnqpublic318 on June 09, 2003, 08:00:27 AM
Indirect competitor of the CRV, Escape and RAV4.  Indirect cause it's more expensive.

Somewhat off-road capable because of Hill Descent and Traction Control but limited by lack or low-range and small tires...

I doubt if the Phil model will get the 2.5-liter V6.

Pao, Those it have a central diff lock?

I was told that they will carry both engines

johnqpublic318

Quote from: Zigen | dondiboy on June 09, 2003, 06:08:47 PM
Well thats good news, just like john said, its a indirect substitute to the Rav4s and escapes. ;) the more variety of cars released here sa pinas, the better. :D

Well, let's just just hope that no one in government does something stupid, inspects the Freelander's every feature and invents more ways to tax it.  Right now, the hard working Pinoy entrepreneur may still be able to affort it.

johnqpublic318

Quote from: Wolf Den on June 10, 2003, 06:57:18 AM
Pao, Those it have a central diff lock?

I was told that they will carry both engines

No...  It has Electronic Traction Control (ETC) with a viscous coupling center diff.  It should actually handle like a front-wheel drive on pavement because most power is transferred to the front unless slip is detected-- ala CRV.

Hill Descent Control (HDC) controls downhill travel by applying the brakes without locking the tires to limit speed to less than 5mph or so.

Pluto'ng Aso

Yeah your right i dont remember it having one when i drove the columbian unit. i nearly got the darn thing together with a defender.
What do you make of the 2.0 diesel engine?

johnqpublic318

Quote from: Wolf Den on June 10, 2003, 10:23:17 AM
Yeah your right i dont remember it having one when i drove the columbian unit. i nearly got the darn thing together with a defender.
What do you make of the 2.0 diesel engine?

A Defender with the TD5 and traction control is what I want.  However, according to Amado (thru Robby), they'll just be using the 300TDI for the Phil market.  Oh yeah, get a test drive of the crew-cab Defender when I get there.... Alright? :)

Anyway, back to the TD4.  Well, it's basically a TD5 with one cylinder lopped off.  When Ford took over LR, they agreed that BMW would continue to supply engines.  The TD4 is also found in the Rover 75 (Rover stayed with BMW while LR went to Ford) and some variants of the BMW 3-Series.

With multi-valves, common-rail direct injection and variable nozzle turbo it sounds like a Ford Power Stroke-- just kidding. :)

HP is 112 PS and torque is 260Nm (26,5 Kgm or 192 lb-ft).  These are decent numbers for a Phil spec vehicle but I'd still prefer the 177hp gas V6 in fun and sporty looking vehicle such as the Freelander.

F300rally_truckster

I like the 3door body design of the freelander. It looks like our favorite Daihatsu, right wolf Den? :)

Freeman

Wow - a diesel engine on a mini SUV? This'll create waves.

Subscribe to our channel
subscribe to our youtube channel