• Welcome to Car Forums Philippines - AutoIndustriya.com. Please login or sign up.

July 10, 2020, 09:17:43 PM

News:

Welcome to the AutoIndustriya.com Car Discussion Forums!

Cheap Mud terrain tires

Started by wolf den, January 14, 2003, 02:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Wolverine

If you use an M/T tire on the pavement, It will wear out fast, regardless of what brand it is.  this is why I am considering getting A/T's for my Samurai in the event that i go on long cross country trips.  Magastos siya initially but your M/T tires will last a lot longer
Everything we do on earth leaves a track....May they be one's we'd

drexx

Jan. 15, 2003 ( UTC -8 )

Quote from: Wolverine on January 15, 2003, 01:54:55 PM
If you use an M/T tire on the pavement, It will wear out fast, regardless of what brand it is.  this is why I am considering getting A/T's for my Samurai in the event that i go on long cross country trips.  Magastos siya initially but your M/T tires will last a lot longer

I don't know how you define fast wearing . I've got 35" GoodYear MTRs that have about 20,000 miles (32,000+ km) on them, and they definitely show more than half the thread left. I do 5 tyre rotations though, and religously check for proper air pressure, to support the 6,500+ lb weight. And no damages to the sidewall too, even after rocking through the Rubicon trails and jumping up and down sand dunes in Pismo Beach.   ;D
Drexx Laggui  -  TLCA; PMC
San Jose, CA, USA
My off-road action! UZJ-100W; FZJ-80L; HDJ-80L; LN-166
[IMG]htt

Wolverine

Drexx

The MTR's must have a pretty hard wearing compound.  I better look into that tire.That and the fact that our paved roads arent exactly silky smooth like the one you experience throughout Cali.  Heck, I'd venture to say that the paved roads here are about as smooth as asphalted coarse gravel.  I just cant seem to find the M/T's that will last long enough if used on our roads.

rookie

What MTs then are better suited for being driven more onroad than offroad?

drexx

Jan. 16, 2003 ( UTC -8 )

Quote from: rookie on January 17, 2003, 07:47:14 AM
What MTs then are better suited for being driven more onroad than offroad?

What made you conclude that?
San Jose, CA, USA
[IMG]htt

Wolverine

Drexx:

I believe it was a question.  

Rookie:

I dont know which M/T's are more suited for on-road.  I do know that super swampers and Simex tires do not like asphalt roads.

The Yokohama Geolandars are slightly more forgiving of asphalt roads but still wear faster than A/T's. Maybe Drexx's MTR's are the one you should consider?

rookie

The MTRs are sold under which brand?

Wolverine

drexx

Jan. 17, 2003 ( UTC -8 )

Quote from: Wolverine on January 17, 2003, 10:27:00 AM
Drexx:
I believe it was a question.  

Rookie:
I dont know which M/T's are more suited for on-road.  I do know that super swampers and Simex tires do not like asphalt roads.

The Yokohama Geolandars are slightly more forgiving of asphalt roads but still wear faster than A/T's. Maybe Drexx's MTR's are the one you should consider?

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to sound so bitchy  ;D I think I really should get some sleep sometimes...

Anyway, a less noisy mud-terrain tyre than the GoodYear MTR is the BFG Goodrich MT. It seems to be good, and although it's a mud-tyre, it's features are a bit more biased towards on-road manners than others.

You may want to sipe it too, for even better on-road handling.
San Jose, CA, USA
[IMG]htt

johnqpublic318

Quote from: rookie on January 17, 2003, 01:03:45 PM
The MTRs are sold under which brand?

Goodyear Wrangler MTR (max-traction, reinforced).... 3-ply sidewall...

rookie

Quote from: drexx on January 18, 2003, 12:15:12 AM
Jan. 17, 2003 ( UTC -8 )

Quote from: Wolverine on January 17, 2003, 10:27:00 AM

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to sound so bitchy  ;D I think I really should get some sleep sometimes.

Drexx,

In basketball parlance, "no harm, no foul".

Don't even give it a second thought!

doc

.... after a few calls to some local tire shops (banaue, tondo area) i have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a cheap mud terrain tire!  :cwm14:
a 30x9.5x15 :
geolandar P4900
grandtrek MT1 P4200 (no MT2 for the 15inch
goodyear MTS P5000+
savero AT P3400 (cant find MTs)
maxxis MT P3400

can you guys recommend other shops?

sixpack

If you really want the cheapest mud tires... what i can recommend is to look for chinese made light truck tires with cross lug pattern.  It should be somewhere between 1500 more or less.

Those tires that was recommended here was cheap if you compare them to professional mud tires like simex and super swamper which cost around 9t to 15t or more for bigger size.  You can seldom see those brands on the road, but they are quite popular on off-road racing. They are built purposely for off-roading and barely pass the US DOT approval.

If you want in-between, i believe MT tires are a good compromise for both high-way and off-road use.  Since we have a lot of mud, i would avoid AT tires.  

rookie

Sixpack,

We learned that the hard way in Baler. Climbing a mud trail up a mountain, our AT equipped pickup almost didn't make it.

looking 4 MTs

Doc,

What is the name of the shop where
you inquired about the Maxxis MTs?
These are the Maxxis Buckshot Mudders, right?
Do you have their phone no.?

If you still have their contact info pls post... I'm
interested on getting these MT's.

Thanks

|