• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
January 25, 2020, 03:56:04 pm

News:

Please keep the forum spam free. No advertisement posts in the forums.

Bead Lock

Started by sixpack, January 17, 2003, 03:48:53 pm

« Things to bring for the Jan 26 Ride (Jungle Base)
|

sixpack

Where can you buy and for how much, here in the Philippines a steel bead lock rims with reasonable price?

Thanks.

Wolverine

Try Armark, Auto options, or 199 Offroad house
Everything we do on earth leaves a track....May they be one's we'd

sixpack

Thanks,  how much do you think it would cost on average?

drexx

Jan. 17, 2003 ( UTC -8 )

Quote from: sixpack on January 17, 2003, 05:30:16 pm
Thanks,  how much do you think it would cost on average?

Do also consider the ongoing cost of maintenance too. Beadlocked tyres are much more harder to balance, and may surprise your local vulcanizing shop.

Drexx Laggui  -  TLCA; PMC
San Jose, CA, USA
My off-road action! UZJ-100W; FZJ-80L; HDJ-80L; LN-166
[IMG]htt

johnqpublic318

They're great for extremely low pressures-- 3-12 psi-- but you'll always have to carry an inch-pounds torque wrench in your tool box.

rookie

johnqpublic318

Quote from: rookie on January 18, 2003, 06:21:35 am
What are bead locks?

Outer and, sometimes, inner tire bead retention device used when running extremely low tire pressures.  The tire bead is squeezed in place by a ring that is held down by numerous 5/16" bolts that require tightening using an inch-pound torque wrench.  

Half the built-up vehicles in Four Wheeler magazine run bead locks.

Another benefit of beadlocks is the ability to remove the tire from the rim using simple hand tools while leaving the rim bolted on to the hub.  This makes tire repairs easy and doable anywhere-- even on the trail.

Drawbacks:  Can be expensive and air-leaks aren't uncommon if bolts aren't torqued correctly and silicone isn't applied.

Freeman

Better than the regular bead locks are the Swiss(?) made Tyre Locks. They lock the beads in and out! They look like little inner tubes. Mot available locally. Try to purchase online.

rustbucket

Check out the boys from Cagayan ( 4x4Fun Club and Trix Offroad ) or Gensan in Mindanao. I think they charge php13000 for a set of 4 rims. You send your rims and wait for a month. Ride in Banawe sells a set for around php45000.
If you have the time and patience you can design your own. It will cost you approx 2500-3000 per rim for the materials and the machine work.

Wolverine

Freeman, JohnQ:

All this time, I thought Bead locks were the more formal hair style of Jamaican Rastafarians.  Dreadlocks on ordinary days...Beadlocks on special occasions!! mali pala! Bwahahahahah!!

Sorry guys, I just had to do it.  i've been too serious all day.

sixpack

Thanks for the reply

That was the cagayan boys told me, send the rims plus 13t.  I was just hoping to get some, ready made at an affordable price. 45t is too much for me right now.

drexx

Jan. 21, 2003 ( UTC -8 )

Quote from: rookie on January 18, 2003, 06:21:35 am
What are bead locks?

Check out this review:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/productreviews/swamper-impact/index.html

* Yes, the test vehicle is a mutated FJ-40...

wolf den

Bwahahahahahaha........ good one wolverine hahahahahahah...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D anyway unless you intend to do some serious tire damage to your very expensive mud tire go ahead get them otherwise the person who trains the U.S. army's special forces in off road driving will tell you to just stick to the highest possible tire pressure recomended by the manufacturer to maintain your tire for the longest time.

johnqpublic318

Quote from: wolf den on January 22, 2003, 01:45:42 am
Bwahahahahahaha........ good one wolverine hahahahahahah...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D anyway unless you intend to do some serious tire damage to your very expensive mud tire go ahead get them otherwise the person who trains the U.S. army's special forces in off road driving will tell you to just stick to the highest possible tire pressure recomended by the manufacturer to maintain your tire for the longest time.

Yes, on road...

But, you'll also have to remember that many U.S. army trucks -- including Hummers, various 6x6s and 8x8s, and APCs are equipped with bead-locks.  For instance, on the 5-ton 6x6 trucks, the U.S. military converted them from dual-rear tires to wide Super-single Michelins with a central tire inflation system (CTIS) and bead-locks for running low tire pressures when needed.   I'm sure that the Gulf war taught them that high tire pressures and sand just don't mix and that beadlocks were needed to keep the tire on the rim.  I don't think that the U.S. military cares about tire wear during off-road situations.  :)

rookie

All i can say is "WOW" to that pirate4x4 review.

Are bead locks primarily used for 4x4 competition here or expeditionary type trailing?

|

Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter