• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
January 25, 2020, 05:18:37 pm

News:

Please keep the forum spam free. No advertisement posts in the forums.

would tyre chains have helped?

Started by drexx, January 22, 2003, 11:06:36 pm

« Isuzu Fuego... | FINAL SCHEDULE OF JAN 26 JUNGLE BASE RIDE »
|

drexx

January 22, 2003, 11:06:36 pm Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 11:10:14 pm by drexx
Drexx Laggui  -  TLCA; PMC
San Jose, CA, USA
My off-road action! UZJ-100W; FZJ-80L; HDJ-80L; LN-166
[IMG]htt

wolf den

Definitely not!!! But obviously judging by the way the avalanch was set up (or the Lack of it) the driver used Gonzo Power than Gonzo brains. but thats what only experience or proper training will give you.  ;D as for the tire chains, There is a particular kind of mud found here in asia that when wet is similar to driving on ice. its red silica clay you dont sink in it but when wet its really slippery, so imagine driving on a one lane trail with a 100 foot drop on your side with the conditions mentioned above and you have all praises for your tire chains.

Remember People!!!!!
4x4 off roading is a MIND game. you dont just charge into obstacles!!! you Stop Analyze then Attack.

rookie

Quote from: wolf den on January 23, 2003, 01:04:10 am

There is a particular kind of mud found here in asia that when wet is similar to driving on ice. its red silica clay you dont sink in it but when wet its really slippery, so imagine driving on a one lane trail with a 100 foot drop on your side with the conditions mentioned above and you have all praises for your tire chains.

JohnQ,

Wolf Den more or less described that mud trail we encountered in Baler, probably the only thing to add was the more or less 45 degree upward angle of that trail and that our feet would sink into the mud when we walked up to inspect it.

You think the tire chains would have worked in this case?

sixpack

I think Tire Chain is not recommended for sand as it will work as a paddle and dig in the tires.  I think it's best just to deflate the tires at this situation, but i think he wont be able to unstuck his vechicles easily without using recovery equipment.

johnqpublic318

Quote from: rookie on January 23, 2003, 06:44:40 am
Quote from: wolf den on January 23, 2003, 01:04:10 am

JohnQ,

Wolf Den more or less described that mud trail we encountered in Baler, probably the only thing to add was the more or less 45 degree upward angle of that trail and that our feet would sink into the mud when we walked up to inspect it.

You think the tire chains would have worked in this case?

In Drexx's picture, tire chains wouldn't have help since the medium appears to be extremely loose and is probably sand.  "Gonzo" power and/or flotation is needed on sand.  The Sportrac proved this to us and I've proven this many times with my former F150.  I've trailed on sand many times in Zambales, Pampanga, Pangasinan and Aurora.  What works on mud doesn't always work on sand.  Wide tires do well on sand but won't do as well on slippery mud.  Sand requires a light vehicle or very low tire pressures when running a heavy truck.  Horsepowers rules on sand that's way some sand draggers and sand rails out here in the U.S. run as much as 1,000hp.  They wouldn't do that if horsepower didn't matter, right?

Yes, chains (and more hp) would have helped during our run up Dicasalarin trail.  What we encountered there is what Wolf always sees in Tanay.  The Tanay trails can be more difficult because they are narrower, have more v-channels, ruts and off-camber situations.

Ther problem with chains in Aurora is the variety of terrain we encounter all on the same day-- pavement, gravel, sand, mud and rocks.  You'll have to keep on installing and removing them.  Chains won't help on sand and are a "no-no" on pavement and rocks.

The sand on Sabang beach in Aurora is fairly packed and doesn't require less than 24psi.  However, I've been on a beach in Bolinao-Pangasinan that's required me to air-down to 10psi on my F150 just to get out.    

|

Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter