• Welcome to Car Forums Philippines - AutoIndustriya.com. Please login or sign up.
September 27, 2021, 04:02:48 AM

News:

Welcome to the AutoIndustriya.com Car Discussion Forums!


Engine Quick Troubleshooting Guides Part I:

Started by clyde, October 21, 2003, 12:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

clyde

October 21, 2003, 12:01:48 PM Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 01:39:00 PM by clyde
I. Engine will not rotate when attempting to start : [/b]

1. Battery terminal connections loose or corroded.
2. Battery discharged or faulty
3. Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in starting circuit.
4. Starter solenoid faulty.
5. Starter motor faulty.
6. Ignition switch faulty.
7. Automatic transaxle/Continously variable Transaxle (CVT) not completely engaged in Park or clutch not completely depressed.
8. Starter pinion or flywheel teeth worn or broken.

II. Engine rotates but will not start: [/b]

1. Fuel tank empty.
2. Battery discharged.
3. Battery terminal connections loose or corodded.
4. Leaking fuel injectors, faulty fuel pump, pressure regulator,  etc.
5. Fuel not reaching fuel rail.
6. Ignition components damp or damaged.
7. Worn, faulty or incorrect gapped sparkplugs.
8. Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in the starting circuit.
9. Loose distributor is changing ignition timing.
10. Broken, loose or disconnected wires at the ignition coil.

III. Engine hard to start when cold:[/b]

1. Battery discharged or low.
2. Malfunctioning fuel system.
3. Injector(s) leaking.
4, Distributor rotor carbon tracked.

IV. Engine hard to start when hot: [/b]

1. Air filter clogged.
2. Fuel not reaching the fuel injection system.
3. Corodded battery connections, especially ground.

V. Starter noisy or excessively rough in engagement: [/b]

1. Pinion or flywheel gear teeth worn or broken.
2. Starter mounting bolts loose or missing.

VI. Engine starts but stops immediately: [/b]

1. Loose or faulty electrical connections at distributor, coil or alternator.
2. Insufficient fuel reaching the fuel injector(s).
3. Vacuum leak at the gasket between the intake manifold and throttle body.

VII. Oil puddle under engine: [/b]

1. Oil pan gasket and/or oil pan drain bolt washer leaking.
2. Oil pressure sending unit leaking.
3. Cylinder head covers leaking.
4. Engine oil seals leaking.

VIII. Engine lopes while idling or idles erratically:[/b]

1. Vacuum leakage.
2. Leaking EGR valve.
3. Air filter clogged.
4. Fuel pump not delivering sufficient fuel to the fuel injection system.
5. Leaking head gasket.
6. Timing belt and/or pulleys worn
7. Camshaft lobes worn.

IX. Engine misses at idle speed: [/b]

1. Spark plugs worn or not gapped properly.
2. Faulty spark plug wires.
3. Vaccum leaks.
4. Incorrect ignition timing.
5. Uneven or low compression.
6. Fault in the fuel injection or engine control system.

X. Engine misses throughout driving speed range:[/b]

1. Fuel filter clogged and /or impurities in the fuel system.
2. Low fuel pressure.
3. Faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs.
4. Incorrect ignition timing.
5. Cracked distributor cap, disconnected distributor wires or damaged distributor components.
6. Leaking spark plug wires.
7. Faulty emission system components.
8. Low or uneven comperssion perssures.
9. Weak or faulty ignition system.
10. Vacuum leak in fuel injection system, intake manifold, intake air control valve (IACV) or vacuum hoses.

XI. Engine stumbles on acceleration:[/b]

1. Spark plugs fouled.
2. Fuel injection system faulty.
3. Fuel filter clogged.
4. Incorrect ignition timing.
5. Intake manifold leak.



soccerjoe5

 XI. Engine stumbles on acceleration:

1. Spark plugs fouled.
2. Fuel injection system faulty.
3. Fuel filter clogged.
4. Incorrect ignition timing.
5. Intake manifold leak.


what does "engine stumbles" mean?

clyde

the engine jerks, "kumakadyot"  ;D (excuse the word mods)

duke


aiinas

Quote from: clyde on October 21, 2003, 12:01:48 PM
I. Engine will not rotate when attempting to start : [/b]

1. Battery terminal connections loose or corroded.
2. Battery discharged or faulty
3. Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in starting circuit.
4. Starter solenoid faulty.
5. Starter motor faulty.
6. Ignition switch faulty.
7. Automatic transaxle/Continously variable Transaxle (CVT) not completely engaged in Park or clutch not completely depressed.
8. Starter pinion or flywheel teeth worn or broken.

II. Engine rotates but will not start: [/b]

1. Fuel tank empty.
2. Battery discharged.
3. Battery terminal connections loose or corodded.
4. Leaking fuel injectors, faulty fuel pump, pressure regulator,  etc.
5. Fuel not reaching fuel rail.
6. Ignition components damp or damaged.
7. Worn, faulty or incorrect gapped sparkplugs.
8. Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in the starting circuit.
9. Loose distributor is changing ignition timing.
10. Broken, loose or disconnected wires at the ignition coil.

III. Engine hard to start when cold:[/b]

1. Battery discharged or low.
2. Malfunctioning fuel system.
3. Injector(s) leaking.
4, Distributor rotor carbon tracked.

IV. Engine hard to start when hot: [/b]

1. Air filter clogged.
2. Fuel not reaching the fuel injection system.
3. Corodded battery connections, especially ground.

V. Starter noisy or excessively rough in engagement: [/b]

1. Pinion or flywheel gear teeth worn or broken.
2. Starter mounting bolts loose or missing.

VI. Engine starts but stops immediately: [/b]

1. Loose or faulty electrical connections at distributor, coil or alternator.
2. Insufficient fuel reaching the fuel injector(s).
3. Vacuum leak at the gasket between the intake manifold and throttle body.

VII. Oil puddle under engine: [/b]

1. Oil pan gasket and/or oil pan drain bolt washer leaking.
2. Oil pressure sending unit leaking.
3. Cylinder head covers leaking.
4. Engine oil seals leaking.

VIII. Engine lopes while idling or idles erratically:[/b]

1. Vacuum leakage.
2. Leaking EGR valve.
3. Air filter clogged.
4. Fuel pump not delivering sufficient fuel to the fuel injection system.
5. Leaking head gasket.
6. Timing belt and/or pulleys worn
7. Camshaft lobes worn.

IX. Engine misses at idle speed: [/b]

1. Spark plugs worn or not gapped properly.
2. Faulty spark plug wires.
3. Vaccum leaks.
4. Incorrect ignition timing.
5. Uneven or low compression.
6. Fault in the fuel injection or engine control system.

X. Engine misses throughout driving speed range:[/b]

1. Fuel filter clogged and /or impurities in the fuel system.
2. Low fuel pressure.
3. Faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs.
4. Incorrect ignition timing.
5. Cracked distributor cap, disconnected distributor wires or damaged distributor components.
6. Leaking spark plug wires.
7. Faulty emission system components.
8. Low or uneven comperssion perssures.
9. Weak or faulty ignition system.
10. Vacuum leak in fuel injection system, intake manifold, intake air control valve (IACV) or vacuum hoses.

XI. Engine stumbles on acceleration:[/b]

1. Spark plugs fouled.
2. Fuel injection system faulty.
3. Fuel filter clogged.
4. Incorrect ignition timing.
5. Intake manifold leak.



Sir How can You say the Engine Misses

clyde


izeboxx


JpT

is there something wrong with my engine if i hear "gulping" sound if it starts?

the sound is like its drinking something.. ???
...sLowLy bUt sUreLy...

clyde

Quote from: JpT on October 02, 2006, 08:42:41 AM
is there something wrong with my engine if i hear "gulping" sound if it starts?

the sound is like its drinking something.. ???

seems like a misfire. re-check ignition system and timing.

mykel

QuoteI. Engine will not rotate when attempting to start : [/b]

1. Battery terminal connections loose or corroded.
2. Battery discharged or faulty
3. Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in starting circuit.
4. Starter solenoid faulty.
5. Starter motor faulty.
6. Ignition switch faulty.
7. Automatic transaxle/Continously variable Transaxle (CVT) not completely engaged in Park or clutch not completely depressed.
8. Starter pinion or flywheel teeth worn or broken.

what if the case is : the engine does not rotate but starts easily specially during cold starts?

Conan®

Quote from: mykel on October 27, 2007, 02:10:00 PM
what if the case is : the engine does not rotate but starts easily specially during cold starts?

What do you mean by the engine does not rotate but starts?

mykel

Quote from: Conan on October 27, 2007, 02:59:54 PM
What do you mean by the engine does not rotate but starts?

ay mali magcrank pala...
ayaw magcrank pero nagsstart sya at hindi namamatay

Conan®

How can you start your car without cranking it?

carbon

"Need Part-time Business?" PM me!

|