Motorists living in eastern Metro Manila and beyond that frequently travel along Marcos Highway will have to grin and bear heavier traffic once more. Starting May 4, 11:00 PM, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority will close a portion of the Marcos Highway Bridge for rehabilitation.
According to MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia, the bridge’s rehabilitation is already long overdue as private contractors have been requesting for its scheduled repair this year. For eight months, private contractors under the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) will work on repairing the Marcos Highway Bridge.
However, Garcia reiterated that they will not be closing both east- and westbound lanes of the bridge. For the first four months, the eastbound lane of the bridge will be closed to traffic. Vehicles bound for Antipolo can take the westbound lane while vehicles heading to Cubao can use the service road fronting SM City Marikina.
After the eastbound lane repairs are complete, the private contractors will then move over to the westbound lane to complete the eight-month long rehabilitation of the vital bridge.
With at least 3,000 vehicles passing through the major thoroughfare every hour, the MMDA has already put signages along Marcos Highway to guide motorists. Even more so, the MMDA also said that they had to adjust the existing truck ban hours of 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM to 6:00 AM - 10:00 AM instead.
Here are some of the alternate routes motorists can use when during the rehabilitation of the Marcos Highway Bridge.
Cubao to Antipolo Route
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then A Boni Flyover, straight ahead Sumulong Highway to Antipolo
2. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then right turn to Katipunan Ave, left turn to Boni Serrano and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos
Highway to Antipolo
3. From Cubao, right turn to 15th Avenue, then left turn to Boni Serrano, take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo.
Trucks from Cubao to Antipolo Route
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd, then right turn to Katipunan Avenue and left turn to Boni Serrano then U-Turn to C-5 Road, straight to FVR Road take Macapagal Bridge then Sumulong Highway to Antipolo.
Antipolo To Cubao Routes
1. From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway then A. Bonifacio Avenue straight ahead
Aurora Blvd., To Cubao.
2. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway and right turn to Fernando Ave, then take
A. Bonifacio Ave. straight ahead Aurora Blvd. to Cubao.
3. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road , right turn to Katipunan Avenue, left turn to Aurora Blvd. straight ahead to Cubao
4. From Antipolo, Take Marcos Highway Then FVR Road straight ahead take Boni Serrano Ave., then right turn to 20th Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd., to Cubao
Trucks From Antipolo To Cubao Route
From Antipolo, Take Marcos Highway then FVR Road Straight Ahead, right turn to Katipunan Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd. straight ahead To Cubao