Marcus De Guzman / FIA | January 26, 2016 11:47
Halo-style cockpit design for open racecars still under evaluation by the FIA
Next year's Formula 1 season may see the debut of closed cockpit racecars after Motorsport.com reported that F1 drivers are calling for its standardization by 2017.
So far, the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) and its technical partners have conducted several tests on concept cars that feature protection from outside debris. The one that has received the most favor comes from Mercedes-Benz. The proposed design will feature a 'halo-style' bar that wraps around the head of the driver but doesn't restrict outside visibility.
Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) President Alex Wurz said that the tests have yielded promising results and he sees no reason why it should not be implemented.
“The research the FIA experts have done is very thorough and the process has brought forward a clear solution. Now the drivers feel it's time to implement the extra protection at the latest in 2017,” said Wurz.
Both Wurz and the drivers are hoping that the proposed design will be approved as early as this week.