First Drive: Behind the wheel of the all-new Subaru Crosstrek
The XV is no more. Motor Image Pilipinas launched earlier this year the all-new Subaru Crosstrek and while some might say it's just a name change, it's actually more than that.
While it may serve as Subaru's entry-level offering, the Crosstrek is anything but basic. With an emphasis on delivering a smooth, comfortable, and refined driving experience along with peace of mind thanks to its wide array of intelligent safety features, the all-new Crosstrek has plenty to offer to interested customers.
Subaru brought us for a day drive to Pampanga with the all-new Crosstrek so we can get a better look and feel for the crossover SUV. With plenty of kilometers ahead of us, we listed down the top five things that we really liked about Subaru's latest offering.
1. Refined & Solid Ride – It goes without saying that one of the most important aspects of a vehicle is providing a smooth & supple ride. The Subaru Crosstrek is no different as it was able to deliver just that. Yes, it's still underpinned by the Subaru Global Platform from the outgoing XV, but the automaker has been busy refining it for the 2024 Crosstrek. The result is a firm yet pliant ride that made going over bumps, rough roads, and rutted streets an ease.
Complementing the supple ride is the overall solid build quality of the Crosstrek. There were no squeaks, creaks, or any noise whatsoever from the interior. The quality of materials used was also impressive. From the type of leather used to the soft-touch textures in the cabin, Subaru knows a thing or two about making a proper interior as well as delivering an impressive ride.
2. Noise, Vibration & Harshness – Complementing the solid and refined ride is the Crosstrek's high level of noise, vibration & harshness deadening. Outside noise from loud motorcycles and big rigs is kept to a minimum thanks to the thick glass and use of thick noise insulation. On the highway, there was practically no wind noise even though we were traveling at 100 km/h.
Tire noise was also almost non-existent thanks to the insulation Subaru used to lower the sound levels. It only becomes apparent when traveling on rougher roads but only just. Speaking of rough roads, Subaru paid special attention to minimizing any type of vibration coming through the steering wheel, ensuring improved comfort over any terrain.
For those who value a vehicle that delivers a quiet ride, the Subaru Crosstrek will not disappoint.
3. Punchy 2.0L Boxer – While most automakers today offer downsized turbocharged engines for their crossover SUVs, Subaru continues to buck that trend with a proper 2.0L flat-four engine. The direct injection Boxer engine makes a respectable 156 PS at 6000 rpm along with 196 Nm of torque at 4000 rpm. It is then paired with a Lineartronic CVT and Symmetrical AWD system.
The 2.0L engine may not have a turbo but bury your foot on the accelerator and it's quick. Set the CVT to S (Sport) mode and acceleration becomes sharper which enthusiasts will appreciate. The lack of forced induction may disappoint some drivers, but the overall smooth power delivery and quick response of the CVT make up for it. Did we mention the Crosstrek has paddle shifters that will allow drivers to play with 8 simulated gear ratios?
Turbocharged engines may be all the rage today, but for Subaru, “If it ain't broke, don't fix it”.
4. Huge tablet-like touchscreen – In case you haven't noticed it yet, all Subaru vehicles now come with a huge touchscreen infotainment system. The Crosstrek is equipped with a massive 11.4-inch display which houses most, if not all of the vehicle's in-car features & amenities. While it may seem daunting to have everything housed in the touchscreen, Subaru was able to make everything within reach as it only takes several clicks to get to a specific menu or make adjustments to vehicle settings.
For the technophiles, the system also comes with wireless Apple CarPlay which makes pairing your iPhone that much easier. It also has Android Auto but you still need to use a cable in order for the system to work. Whether you use an Android or Apple device, the touchscreen can quickly and automatically pair your smartphone with the system with ease.
5. EyeSight 4.0 – One of the best features the Crosstrek has is its intelligent suite of safety features dubbed EyeSight. Now on its fourth iteration, it provides smart driver aids to provide extra peace of mind while on the road thanks to a set of forward-facing cameras and a radar sensor. Think of it as your co-pilot in everyday driving.
One of the niftiest features we got to use on EyeSight is the adaptive cruise control. Unlike your regular cruise control, this one can automatically adjust the vehicle's speed and can even maintain a desired distance from other vehicles in front of you.
There's also lane sway & departure warning which ensures the driver does not veer off their lanes while on the highway. Should you slightly veer off your lane, the system will gently nudge the steering wheel back onto the lane. But what if you need to change lanes? The system deactivates temporarily when you use the turn signal so as not to interfere with the driver – ensuring drivers use their turn signals when necessary.
Last but not least is the pre-collision system. In the event you suddenly get too close to the vehicle in front of you, the system will sound off audible cues to warn you. Should you get closer to the other vehicle and fail to slow down or step on the brakes, the system will automatically apply full braking force in order to avoid an impact.
Pricey but worth it?
With a starting price of PHP 1.998 million, the 2024 Subaru Crosstrek is quite the crossover SUV. But for Subaru who now considers themselves a niche brand that offers high-quality vehicles to a loyal following of customers and enthusiasts, quality does come at a price.
Overall, we were impressed with what Subaru was able to do on the all-new Crosstrek. The level of refinement combined with the cutting-edge technology translates to a crossover SUV that is cut from a different cloth.
Interested in getting one? Subaru is still offering special introductory prices for the 2024 Crosstrek. For a limited time, the 2.0i-L only retails for PHP 1.718M while the 2.0i-S is available for PHP 1.868M.