A few weeks ago, we reported about a motorist calling out Quezon City's (QC) no-contact apprehension policy (NCAP). According to them, the local government has set up “traps” by removing or disabling traffic signal countdowns on certain intersections.
Since then, plenty of motorists have shared their complaints and sentiments online about NCAP. Now, the issues surrounding NCAP have caught the attention of the Land Transportation Office (LTO). In a press statement, LTO Chief Teofilo Guadiz III has called out local government units (LGUs) that are already implementing NCAP to suspend and consider reviewing the said policy.
Guadiz has encouraged the LGUs to sit down with the LTO to iron out the guidelines and issues. These include the complaints of operators of PUVs that are forced to pay the fines for traffic violations committed by their drivers, as well as the complaints aired out by private motorists.
“Tila po may kakulangan sa policy na maaaring kailangang repasuhin upang ang mismong drayber o nagmamaneho ng sasakyan ang dapat na managot sa paglabag. We will look into ways na ang dapat managot ay ang drayber,” said Guadiz.
[It seems that there is a deficiency in the policy that may need to be reviewed so that the driver or driver of the vehicle should be responsible for the violation. We will look into ways that the one who should be responsible is the driver]
The LTO Chief has also sent letters to the cities of Manila, Paranaque, Valenzuela, San Juan, and Quezon City. In an interview with One Balita Pilipinas, Guadiz is asking them to immediately meet with transport officials in order to fix the rules in the NCAP system that motorists find objectionable.
“I sent a letter last Friday and I’m giving them three days to respond. If they don’t [comply], I’ll call them directly,” said Guadiz.
Guadiz also wished to emphasize that the LTO is only helping the LGUs and the MMDA in the implementation by sending an alarm about the vehicle in violation. Meanwhile, the LGUs are the ones that draft the necessary guidelines.
Another issue that the LTO Chief wishes to study is if a vehicle has already been sold to another individual and the transfer of ownership is not yet registered with the LTO. This becomes an issue should a violation of traffic rules be committed and the vehicle is still registered to the previous owner.
“There are instances po na 'yung sasakyan ay nailipat na sa ibang pangalan pero dahil hindi ito nailagda sa LTO, ang sinisingil pa po nila ay 'yung dating may-ari ng sasakyan. We would like to revisit this po,” added Guadiz.
[There are instances that the vehicle has already been transferred to another name but since it was not signed with the LTO, they are still charging this to the former owner of the vehicle. We would like to revisit this]
Guadiz believes that NCAP will serve a noble cause. However, it should be fine-tuned for a stronger and more effective implementation in order to contribute to a smoother flow of traffic in Metro Manila. Should the LTO's request with the LGUs be denied or rejected, Guadiz said that he will meet with DILG Secretary Benhur Abalos to recommend a review and suspension of NCAP.
With the LTO calling out the LGUs over the issues surrounding NCAP, this could perhaps help motorists who still have problems with the no-contact apprehension system.